Nice Black Reflective surface?

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Question - browsing the forum I see lots of people taking shots in 'mini studios', everything from bottles of aftershave to flowers, with black backgrounds [which I can do] but also on a reflective black surface and was wondering what people are using for this? Is it a specific something or are people improvising with different things, and if so, what? :thinking: I have some product shots to do for our karate website and would like to use this technique to enhance them but having wondered around my house cant find anything that is black and reflective enough.

My black surface is a tray from Ikea which works wonderfully but not sure it would be big enough for your needs.

My suggestion would be a black glossy wall/floor tile, cheap as chips from a tile store.

I have an 18in square piece of smoked glass from an old hi-fi unit, I place it on black cloth, it looks like a black mirror. :)

Use a piece of clear glass or perspex and put it over any colour you want (y)

Use a piece of clear glass or perspex and put it over any colour you want (y)

:agree:

Struggling for the 'right' colour? Perhaps you want a gradient shade? Just print it on glossy paper (A3 ideally if you have such a printer) and as Susane/pxl8 say - stick it under glass

DD

If you use flash for your mini shots.. wont that flare up on glass?

If you use flash for your mini shots.. wont that flare up on glass?

Not if you get your lighting angles right.

or use card to block the light hitting it too much

Actually I do remember watching one of the studio togs at the first place I worked do a complicated set up where the shadows under the product had a colour gradient all done by lights but in those days there wasn't much choice :eek:

Back