Nicely lit Church, however....

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I quite like this shot I took last night however I'm not great with CS5 and don't have LR3/4 or any other software. What annoys me about this is the street light which I think ruined the view somehow.

Do you think it would be possible to remove this with some practice with CS5?

M-DSC_4951 by Jester_Colin, on Flickr

I would say yes....

85964612236480faa350kco.jpg

I copied the left hand tower, flipped horizontally and then aligned to the right one, (slight rotate needed). Then cloned some sky over the light flare and cloned some brickwork over the post, and shadow of the post.

about 10 minutes effort. Spend longer - should give a better result. (y) oh, and this was only in CS2...

Last edited:
you could always, and i know its cheating, but you could always split the church in half vertically, then mirror and join up both ends, thus getting rid of the light. Its a symetrical building so you should be able to get away with it no probs.

not a bad idea carl - certainly quicker than my method, possibly gives a better result too.

Although don;t forget the door and clock are not symmetrical!! (y)

I would say yes....

I copied the left hand tower, flipped horizontally and then aligned to the right one, (slight rotate needed). Then cloned some sky over the light flare and cloned some brickwork over the post, and shadow of the post.

about 10 minutes effort. Spend longer - should give a better result. (y) oh, and this was only in CS2...

Bravo, I also have a free CS2 (Adobe are letting it go for nowt just now) but I would have no idea where to start but I am impressed, thanks.

Just need some tips on how to attempt that. (y)

I'd say go for the mirroring - its easier

duplicate base layer (CTRL J)
rectangle select tool
select LHS (slect more than you "need", can paint it away later).
CTRL C
CTRL V
(should have LHS pasted as new layer)
edit > transform > flip horizontal
lower opacity to 50% so you can see both layers
V (to move selection)
drag it to the right
line it up (works pretty well straight off) {press return when done}
Did need to then distort it slightly (edit > transform > distort) Pulled top left corner to the left a bit. ({return when done}
opacity back to 100%
select fairly large soft edge brush (hardness 0)
add layer mask
paint in areas (on the layer mask) where the match or the shadows isn't great - door, clock, windows. basically all the centre section.

plenty of tutorials or guides on each of the tools mentioned. Practice makes perfect!

fullscreencapture280320.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say go for the mirroring - its easier

duplicate base layer (CTRL J)
rectangle select tool
select LHS (slect more than you "need", can paint it away later).
CTRL C
CTRL V
(should have LHS pasted as new layer)
edit > transform > flip horizontal
lower opacity to 50% so you can see both layers
V (to move selection)
drag it to the right
line it up (works pretty well straight off)
Did need to distort it slightly (edit > transform > distort) Pulled top left corner to the left a bit.
opacity back to 100%
select fairly large soft edge brush (hardness 0)
add layer mask
paint in areas (on the layer mask) where the match or the shadows isn't great - door, clock, windows.

plenty of tutorials or guides on each of the tools mentioned. Practice makes perfect!

(y)

I'll try this later tonight if I can and post my results. Thanks for the help.

Lovely shot of a church I walk past daily. My only criticism, and I'm struglling here, would be to lose the upper windows of the police station which have creeped in a little to the left there. My eyes are drawn to it, but only because I know it's there.

Back