Nifty fifty alternative

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Its bizarre I bought a couple of half decent lenses with my D200 then following what I read on here I bought a nifty fifty too because it didn't cost much and gave me a few more options. I didn't expect the nifty fifty to get much use but I have been surprised that I have actually used it as much as the other two lenses put together, if not more!

Anyway with this in mind what half decent lens can I get that would be as good as the nifty fifty but maybe with some more flexibility maybe 20-80 ish. I want something that is quite quick. I would prefer Nikon but I would consider other makes.

I really have no idea what price range I am looking at so I am using this as a way of finding out what to look at and roughly how much it will cost me.

Sigma 30mm f1.4 is a very nice lens,

Sigma or Tamron 18-50 f2.8?

The zoom (it's a 17-50 I believe) is much slower than the primes although is a nice lens.

The primes are also much sharper.

They're f2.8 (sorry, Sigma 18-50 or Tamron 17-50) and it doesn't get any faster than that with zooms.

Also, their pictures are striking and not far off the quality of a basic prime.

Have a look at the Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8, nicknamed 'The Beast' it is an incredibly sharp lens and can be picked up second hand. I would also recommend the 17-55mm f/2.8, I have one and the IQ is almost indiscernible from the nifty fifty.

I would recommend the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8

Possibly the most used lens in my set.

Sharp as a tack and some great reviews.

This is interesting, not too expensive either. Any ideas anyone if this will also work on my wife's D40x. Its easier to tell with Nikons lenses!

Any example shots of a portrait nature!

The Nikon 17-55 looks good on paper too but its a bit more expensive. I would love to try the pair out but I have plenty of time. This thread was to find my next lens which is going to be in a few months time.

Thanks

Back