Nifty fifty buying advice.

Name
Barbara
Edit My Images
No
I am thinking of buying a nifty fifty for my Nikon D40X. I have been looking at the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and also at the sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro, but decided that this was outside my present budget. I want a nifty fifty because it stops down to a much larger aperture than my kit lens, so that I can get better DOF, but I would also like to take macro shots with it. I have a Raynox 105 close up lens. Would this work OK on the Nikkor lens. I realise that these prime lenses would not work on AF, but I don't mind using manual.

Hi there, I've got the 50mm Sigma Macro and it's my most favoured lens (because I mostly take portraits). I love it, however, if I could rewind time I'd aim to get the 105mm sigma macro lens. Mainly because it's much easier to take photos of insects and animals without scaring them away.

I'd also get something like a 30mm prime for portraits as I personally think 50mm is a bit much for that type of photography (I constantly find myself having to back away).

Thanks for your advice SS. I'm not so worried about taking pics of insects as I'm not too keen on them anyway. What I really would like to take are pictures of flowers, etc both showing the whole plant but with shallow DOF, and also taking close up of small sections of the flower. At the moment I take them with my kit lens, and my 55-200 lens with the Raynox lens attached.

Back