Night demon... (8 pics)

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I was actually looking for spiders late last night, but there were none to seen (was hoping for an early orb weaver of some sort) so no luck there, but I did find a wasp on the apple tree. Not sure what wasps usually do at night - or where they normally go (to sleep?) but she was quite a way inside the branches of the tree which meant some cropping required (and some aggressive NR to keep the background under control). Came out pretty well in the end but she is one of our more feared insects, and not one I like to meet by day, let alone as a night demon...

w2_1400.jpg

w3_1400.jpg

w1_1400.jpg

w4_1400.jpg

w5_1400.jpg

w9_1400-XL.jpg

w7_1400.jpg

w8-Edit_1400.jpg

Paul.

Last edited:
Not sure what wasps usually do at night - or where they normally go (to sleep?)
A colony returns to the nest to sleep.
I can't tell the size from the image but this time of year its likely to be a Queens looking for a nest site.
The new Queens leave the nest in the Autumn and hole up somewhere for the winter.
They normally build a golf ball size nest, and hole up in that.
But others find nooks and crannies. And then go on to build a nest in the spring.
It's unusual to find them out at night, Though.

Great close ups as always Paul (y)

It was just in a joint of a branch - might have been warm perhaps at sundown and she chose not to move? My cat was a pain at the same time. Because I was leaning into the tree branches, he had to climb it and stick his nose into my business. TBH, he's often a pain in summer whenever I get the camera out...

Paul.

It was just in a joint of a branch - might have been warm perhaps at sundown and she chose not to move? My cat was a pain at the same time. Because I was leaning into the tree branches, he had to climb it and stick his nose into my business. TBH, he's often a pain in summer whenever I get the camera out...

Paul.
He's just trying to help you catch that mouse you're obviously looking for. After all, you've been trying all these years without any obvious success, so he's all the more keen to try and help you break your duck. Cats are very good like that! ;)

He's just trying to help you catch that mouse you're obviously looking for. After all, you've been trying all these years without any obvious success, so he's all the more keen to try and help you break your duck. Cats are very good like that! ;)

Bilbo Baggins Cat seems to have a sixth - sense tripod out, gotta see why!!! :D

Paul.

Last edited:
Very nice shots Paul I love a wasp
She looks like she is looking for a meal not that aphid but nectar they love a none flowering nectary

Very nice shots Paul I love a wasp
She looks like she is looking for a meal not that aphid but nectar they love a none flowering nectary

Ta Alf.

The puzzle is her being in the open at night, unless she was disturbed by a cat or something.

Paul.

wow ,respect

Lovely shots, I've yet to see many insects to shoot, waiting for the warmer weather.

Back