Night Rally Help (Tour of Mull)

Edit My Images
Yes
These pic's were taken on last years Tour of Mull. I hope to visit again this year but before I do I would like some advice.
On the night sections I achieved mixed results, below are typical examples, pic's 1 and 2 are OK by my standards, (I am new to this photography lark) but pic 3 is spoilt by the extended headlights.
Could anyone advise what causes this, is it just poor technique? and how can I prevent it this year.

Comment on all three pics welcome, good or bad. Cheers Ian

IMG_3300-800.jpg

IMG_3362-1usm800.jpg

IMG_3281-800.jpg

It's caused by the car lights stilll recording on the sensor after the flash has fired and died away but the shutter is still open.

Set 2nd curtain shutter sync to solve the problem. :)

Pic 3 isn't showing for me btw.

Hi CT, thanks for your help, but, would 2nd curtain shutter sync not cause light trails at the back of the car, and why does it not happen on all the pic's?
Sorry, to come back with more questions!! and thanks again, Ian

Hi CT, thanks for your help, but, would 2nd curtain shutter sync not cause light trails at the back of the car,

Absolutely - but it looks far more natural when the trails are behind.

..and why does it not happen on all the pic's?

There are so many variables...

The actual shutter speed- (how long the shutter is open)

The speed of the car - the faster it's travelling the longer you'll get the projected light trails

The angle of the car - crossing the camera at right angles is more likely to produce the effect than a more acute angle, especially if the car is glpoing very quickly at that moment.

Thanks again CT, I guess I'll just have to keep practicing, hopefully on Mull this Oct.

Cheers Ian

Back