Night shot from mountain top..

Edit My Images
No
Hello all..
I have been praticising my night shots, seeing if different settings work etc. These shots was taken from a mountain top in South Wales, all C/C welcome..
Take care, lance..

2-2.jpg

1-3.jpg

3-1.jpg

Way over saturated and very noisy.

I thought it was also noisy, but i could only shoot in night mode, as when i tried in manual the lens would not focus..
I have been having a alot of trouble with this as the lens is trying to focus but just won't!
Any suggestions to this problem???

You'll need a tripod as a defo. If the lens wont focus stick it on manual focus. Either that of put it on about f/18 and focus about a third of the way into the shot. :)

Keep ISO to lowest, small aperture and use NR on long exposures ?
HTH
Looks good though, like lava in the valley :)

Last edited:
Just to reiterate the points above really; A tripod is a must. ISO for long exposure should really be kept at base ISO (on the D50 is ISO200) and then apply noise reduction later on if necessary. I can't remember if the D50 has dark frame reduction or not, but if it does, it's best to use in camera NR. If it's the kit lens you are using, I'd suggest not going past F/11, as you will start to loose sharpness beyond this aperture. Focusing roughly 1/3rd the way into the image should give a sharp enough image at F/11, though, as there is not much in the foreground, manually focusing through the viewfinder could be sufficient. :)

The hyperfocal method is a method whereby using a certain aperture for a given focal length, and focusing at a certain distance, you maximise the depth of field. Though, unless you have an accurate distance scale on the lens, it's rather hard to use this method in the dark...

Last edited:
I am in Prestatyn. Gwaenysgor is a small village just up a VERY steep windy road from my house. If I ever figure out how to upload an image I'll include one taken from the hiltop carpark known as the viewing point for obvious reasons!

almost looks like you are standing on a volcano and molten lava is heading
towards you :)

Back