Night shots + light painting

Name
phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Been unable to sleep the past few nights, so been out and about.

1. River Foyle looking North to the new Peace bridge

DSC_0480.jpg

2. Looking South to Craigavon bridge

DSC_0484.jpg

3. North from Craigavon bridge

DSC_0491.jpg

4. And first attempt at light painting (I know horizon is off and some of you take offence, but as I'm only learning I'd hope you'd forgive a beginners mistake!)

DSC_0508.jpg

They were pretty cloudy nights and these are straight out of the camera and haven't been touched.
Does anyone have any advice to get better at these type of shots please?
Thanks, Phil.

Also, when you go above the 30sec in long exposure, how do you know how long to shoot for. I mean, I see photos with 53sec, 66sec, 144 sec etc etc.
Is there a 'magic rule' that works out this exact number, or is it just trial and error?

Without sounding like and arse, but there is not magic formula for working out the exposure times in night time long exposures :bang: but it comes with experience, you will learn with time how long you need to shoot for to get the exposures (y)

But I think that these have some potential (y) but I think that you need to be there earlier, as this will allow you to still get some interest in the sky in the form of some colours (y) also the last one, hell we all mess up the horizons from time to time, but that's not something to beat yourself up over, but just remember it can be corrected in editing (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Back