night sky shots, how too?

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, was thinking i might try some night sky shots but not sure what setting i should be looking at to start with. i have a 35mm, 24-120 or a 300mm which i can put on a converter on to get moon a bit closer.

Any help would be appreciated

It depends on what you want?

For star trails you'll want lots of 30 second exposures, turn off long exposure noise reduction, then use Statstax or similar to stack.

For milky way shots you'll want a wide angle and high ISO and one shot.

For the moon remember it is very bright, if you want detail in it then spot meter the moon itself or you'll blow it out.

In any case you'll want a sturdy tripod and cable release.

Let us know what you want to achieve and we'll be able to give more specific information on how to get there.

It depends on what you want?

For star trails you'll want lots of 30 second exposures, turn off long exposure noise reduction, then use Statstax or similar to stack.

For milky way shots you'll want a wide angle and high ISO and one shot.

For the moon remember it is very bright, if you want detail in it then spot meter the moon itself or you'll blow it out.

In any case you'll want a sturdy tripod and cable release.

Let us know what you want to achieve and we'll be able to give more specific information on how to get there.

just want to try a few basic moon shots and maybe some star trails. i have a tripod and cable release. something new but thought i would give it a go!

thanks guys for the links, look forward to reading and trying it out, too cloudy here tonight i fear!

Back