night skyline

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hi from a bit of a n00b here as most of my stuff has people in it :D

anywho I just got in from playing and have discovered several things, one is extend the shutter not bump the iso (old habits die hard ok) but this was the best of the bunch

IMG_6939.jpg
[/IMG]

crit appreciated but I kinda set my hair on fire with a ciggie composing this (forgot that shoving it behind your ear isn't as good an idea with lit ones) so composition aint too hot, and I was using a crappy tripod too lol

Regards,
David

Well. I see the beginning of a cool shot here. At the moment it's not working, but with a few revisits we can get it to work. Can you get back to it?

Gary.

yeah its from my paddock - defo can reshoot might do tonight.

The powerline annoys me, as does the softness but thats with a 30sec shutter speed on a jessops tripod - hence why I shot at 17mm to reduce effect of wobbling. (though I did hang my bag from the bottom and use the self timer to reduce vibration)

I had f8 to get some DoF as I was manually focussing on infinity as I had no torch to see the distance scale

bit grainy as its iso 800 to counter f8 but I'm not too fussed about that.

What is wrong in my approach here.

Last edited:
Hi david
You're a bit of a hot shot :LOL: but my advice would be keep it cool and don't smoke on the job.

hot shot I aint :D Just looking for technical tips for this kinda shot as I have a framing that I like and will have similar lighting at the right time of night for the next few months and reckon that properly owning one shot would open the field for me a little more

Ok, Here is what I recon :)

There are two basic types of sunset shot, in my opinion, and this clearly fits into one of them. The categories are:

1) The shot has a black foreground and relies on an interesting silhouette to provide the focal point of the image. These tend not to have lead in lines as a result of the far gone failing light.

2) The shot has been taken with the use of grads (or other similar methods) and so has details in the foreground.

Obviously, this is a very critical way of categorising, and there are exceptions. However, in this case, your shot falls neatly into the first category.

Now, in general, the first category relies on a very strong and interesting silhouette outline to provide a focal point. Lead in lines are not common here, so the focal point has to be instantly obvious. Here, I feel the scene does not provide this, so scouting a different location might be good.

Assuming however that you want to improve upon this location, there are a number of things you can try. Firstly, use F/8 (which you have already done) but not for reasons of DoF. The foreground is in total shadow, so there is nothing there to be in focus. The tree tops are sufficiently far away to not worry about focusing at 1/3rd into the frame and using the aperture to drag the rest of into focus. Coincidentally, F/8 is generally the sharpest aperture value to use, so in this style of shot, for this reason alone, F/8 is the best aperture value to use.

You said you used a tripod, which is a step in the right direction for sure. If it is really REALLY crap, then perhaps consider investing in one of the cheaper manfrottos... Don't have to break the bank to get a sturdy (or atleast noticably more sturdy) tripod. I noticed you are using a 50D from your EXIF, so using self timer and (if it has it) mirror lock up will help to reduce camera shake when the you take the shot and the shutter actuates respectivly. You used spot metering as well according to the EXIF... I am assuming you took a spot reading from the sky? If so, this is the best way to shots of this style.

So by doing this lot, your shots will be sharper, the sky will be exposed properly and the shot as a whole will not have camera shake. Oh, and maybe compose with the horizon on, if not slightly below the bottom thirds line.

I stand by my original point though of trying to find a better location. Perhaps try and find something where the outlines denote contrasting themes... A tree next to some scaffolding (as a generic example) will contrast not only by the silhouett, but also by the man-made / natural contrast. You kind of have this aspect in this shot, but it really needs to stand out.
HTH! :)

PS: Shame I'm not still at Exeter uni, we could have met up and had a shoot :)

PPS: Which reminds me! Perhaps try the same style of shot down by the cathedral... lots of trees down there to compliment the harsh outline of the cathedral. Or, do you know Thomas Hall?

Last edited:
woooo exe, you explained much of this in IRC :D, will try mirror lock up as I wasnt ;)

will try this again with better comp and mirror lock up as I can get to it and try other places I can walk to as I'm home atm :(

Back