Nik Collection - worth the money?

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
No
I have been recommended to download the Nik collection to use supplementary to Photoshop. It is priced at £150.00 for the full version. Is it worth the money and do I need it?

I have been recommended to download the Nik collection to use supplementary to Photoshop. It is priced at £150.00 for the full version. Is it worth the money and do I need it?
1. That's gone up massively in price over the last few years.
2. No, you don't need it.

You can do pretty much everything in Photoshop without the various available plug ins, but yes, they can be helpful as short cuts; particularly for layer masking techniques.

You don't Need it no, but it is useful.
You can download the old set to try for free and see how you like it ... no idea if it still works with PS though. :)

You don't Need it no, but it is useful.
You can download the old set to try for free and see how you like it ... no idea if it still works with PS though. :)

It certainly works in Lightroom CC

I was lucky enough to download it for free several years ago (v2).

I use Silver Efex a lot. Most images go through it - I boost contrast and structure and decide if I prefer it in B&W. Even if I decide I don't, I still import it and blend it in Ps with the original image with Luminosity blend mode. Then I will dial it back to the stage I like it (which might mean 0% opacity).

Would I pay £150? No, I would not, even though I use it and like it - I think the price is too high for me.

No don’t waste your money. It used to be good but software has come a long way since and you can do everything in PS or LR.

DXO have also been taking the p*** with upgrades. They’ve been upgrading 1 app at a time, each year charging another upgrade fee for a small update to the UI of one of the apps.

A couple of years ago they charged for an update which removed the sliders from the selection points and shoved them all into the toolbar, nobody liked it, a year later they charged another upgrade fee to put it back again.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to download it for free several years ago (v2).

I use Silver Efex a lot. Most images go through it - I boost contrast and structure and decide if I prefer it in B&W. Even if I decide I don't, I still import it and blend it in Ps with the original image with Luminosity blend mode. Then I will dial it back to the stage I like it (which might mean 0% opacity).

Would I pay £150? No, I would not, even though I use it and like it - I think the price is too high
I was wondering the same thing a couple of months ago. I really only use the Silver Efex and was wondering if it was worth upgrading. Everyone I spoke to said no. DXO really hasn't made any major improvements to it and just seem to be milking the life out of it. Like everyone mentioned above, get the original for free and use that. I would love to see a powerful stand alone B&W program come out.

Not for £150. I only use silver fx but I do use it for all of my black and white, which is what I primarily use. I had the free version maybe 4-5 years ago and because of that got an offer to upgrade for £60 I think and I did that. Apart from a few more black and white film simulations I didn’t gain much from it.

Ok I have tried to locate and download the old FREE one but after a couple of tries, each time I was directed to upgrade to the new one. Can anyone give me link to the old plugin please that works? I don't want to try the free sample test as I have no intention now of spending £150.00. Thanks.

Ok I have tried to locate and download the old FREE one but after a couple of tries, each time I was directed to upgrade to the new one. Can anyone give me link to the old plugin please that works? I don't want to try the free sample test as I have no intention now of spending £150.00. Thanks.
I messaged about the free one. I may have the install files at home. I made a point of backing it up thinking it wouldn’t be free for much longer. Where it is I’m not sure but I wouldn’t have deleted them.
I doubt there will be a link anywhere to the free one now they are charging. I believe it went free when Google owned it and didn’t care about it. Then it was bought and they went back to charging

I messaged about the free one. I may have the install files at home. I made a point of backing it up thinking it wouldn’t be free for much longer. Where it is I’m not sure but I wouldn’t have deleted them.
I doubt there will be a link anywhere to the free one now they are charging. I believe it went free when Google owned it and didn’t care about it. Then it was bought and they went back to charging
If you find it can you let me know. PM me please I would be interested. Not asking you to do anything illegal.

My post #3 above has a link that works for me. :thinking:

Do you use the sharpen tool with nix? It looks to me like it’s a high pass filter sort of thing, when I’ve compared it to the high pass in photoshop anyway
I very occasionally use the pre-sharpener but not the output sharpener.
My main use is Define & Vivezza.

The free version doesn’t work with Sonoma but does for earlier OS versions and Windows 10/11

Do you use the sharpen tool with nix? It looks to me like it’s a high pass filter sort of thing, when I’ve compared it to the high pass in photoshop anyway
I usually use the high pass sharpener filter in Lightroom which works very well.

second box down on the right has the options for downloading. I did try it and canceled it as I don't need to go through that process. But it did start to download. Let me know if it works

I just read that you're using Mac and may no longer be compatible to you.

Last edited:
Back