Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.4

The 1.4 is worth the extra if you do a lot of available light photography and that large max aperture will throw backgrounds beautifully out of focus. Having said that, there isn't that much difference really between the two lenses (Speed wise anyway) so it's up to you whether or not you go for the 1.4. If it's only going to see occasional use you might be as well served by the 1.8?

CT - are you talking purely from a specification point of view, or have you used these lenses?

Everything I have ever heard regarding the Nikon lenses is that the picture quality is superior on the F1.8...

Quotes from this thread - http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/

"Canon's 50mm f/1.4 is sharper, has better bokeh and construction than their f/1.8, whereas for Nikon the f/1.4 is better built and has better bokeh but is less sharp than the f/1.8. This simplifies the decision-making process, as there is only price vs. quality to consider, not multiple trade-offs"

"I retract any positive suggestion about the quality of the Nikon 1.4. I sold that lens and went with their very fine 1.8D lens"

Chez said:
CT - are you talking purely from a specification point of view, or have you used these lenses?

Everything I have ever heard regarding the Nikon lenses is that the picture quality is superior on the F1.8...

No -I haven't used them which is why I made the observation " Having said that, there isn't that much difference really between the two lenses (Speed wise anyway)" I accept that the f1.8 may be the sharper lens, although it's a bit 'off' if it is considering the price difference.

CT said:
I accept that the f1.8 may be the sharper lens, although it's a bit 'off' if it is considering the price difference.

I agree, but at least that gives you a reason to spend less...not something that happens every day! :)

Back