Nikon 18-200mm VR - Sharp?

Edit My Images
Yes
I (finally) got my 18-200mm VR lens yesterday and have just had a little play with it.

First things first, it feels very well built.. Not up to the standards of the 70-200mm VR, but certainly well above the 18-70mm in my opinion.

Here's a quick test shot I took. All I have done is use Auto WB in Nikon Capture, resize it and save as a jpeg.

1_small.jpg

Exif -

Model = NIKON D200
Exposure Time = 1/60"
F Number = F8
Focal Length = 200mm
Exposure Program = Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 400

Here is a 100% crop from the image -

1_100.jpg

Another impressive feature is the minimum focusing distance, which allows you to get incredibly close to your subject even at 200mm, meaning the f5.6 max aperture at 200mm isn't a major hindrance in terms of DOF.

So far, so good I think..will post some more when I've had a chance to shoot something interesting :)

Chez

looking promising there chez. thanks for keeping us up to date, im interested in this one as im wondering if it can justify itself over the sgma/tamron im considering for travelling.

I've been buying AP ever since you mentioned it in the D200 thread Joe, so I look forward to that review ;)

noah - for me, the clincher is VR. That alone means you will be able to get shots with this lens that you wouldn't with the Tamron/Sigma etc..

Looks promising....I hate having to wait for toys :hissyfit:

Mmmmm Global knives :cool:

Looking forward to have a play with this lens I have to admit.

Back