nikon 18-70 valuation

alexkidd

D.O.N.K.E.Y.
Name
Alex
Edit My Images
No
Just having a dig around in the box of camera stuff i rarely use and i've got this 18-70 from 2005/6 that i got 2nd hand with a d70s kit iirc that's externally fine apart from some pretty scuffed gold lettering

the front and rear elements are pretty immaculate if i'm honest but there's definately some dust inside.

it's a bit stiff between 50 and 70 mm and seems stiff putting on the d300 but i'll have a better look at that in min (might be some kind of build up under the ridge, loose screw or something)

afaik it takes fine photos but i'll get round to taking some when i've got more time and decide to sell

question is, is it worth shifting in this state and how much is it worth?

i saw a new one today in Jessops for a whopping £329, i bought mine recon/secondhand for £141. just to give you some idea alex. They do go for £259 new though online.

I'd say about £80-90 . Lots of 18-105 VR D90 kit lenses going used right now which is a far better lens. Nobody really wants 18-70's

Not sure that the 18-105 is a much better lens, if better at all. The 18-70 is a pretty decent lens and in good condition will fetch £110 / £120. Probably a bit less in the condition that you are describing, i.e dust and a bit of scuffing.

Chris :)

I have viewed a few of the 18-70's in the fact i was going to get shot of my 18-105.

Glad i did'nt every one i seen had dust in it. I got a shot of a friends 18-70 and i will say it was a good lens he would not part with it, and god you miss vr when you dont have it.

Anyway any i have seen range from £80-£100.

They do get dust in them quite easily.
They do have a much better motor (SWM) in them, than the 18-105VR. They also have a metal bayonet and a metal rear fixed ring inside. The 18-105 is as badly made as the 18-135mm. One knock and they break inside.
Get your 18-70 serviced and enjoy it! There are 3 screws, which can loosen with time and eventually the zoom will jam or stick. Later examples don't have this fault.

Back