Nikon 200-500mm for Rugby

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
As anyone used the Nikon 200-500 for rugby? I currently use the 70-200 which is good to an extent but struggles soon as the players get close to the half way line and I am usually behind the posts. I am thinking of adding this to use on my D7200 (D500 eventually) and I won't be anytime soon picking up a 300mm+ prime. Your thoughts would be much appreciated

Always a good source for a review... http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/200-500mm.htm

Had a quick play with one when Nikon came over to Dublin to push the D5. I think bang for buck it's decent.

My preferred rugby lens combo would be 500 f4 and 70-200 f2.8 (OR 600 f4 and 300 f2.8 depending on venue) so this lens would be getting you close to the first choice.

200-500 is good for rugby or football on a crop body constant f5.6 so ok for low light
dont go for a prime as you have no control over composition

Last edited:
That's one of the worst bits of advice for sports photography that I've ever seen on here.
I agree, the whole point of primes is that they are called 'fast' lenses which are ideal for sport. Look at any RBS 6 nations game sidelines this weekend and you will see an array of 400mm f2.8s. Go to any motor sport and you will see an array of 600 f4s. And Rugby being a winter sport you're going to be shooting in predominately low light (in this country). Unless you're operating on a Light Value (or EV day if you want to be exact) day of 17+ then you need a "fast" lens to cover all eventualities.

Last edited:
I've used this lens in combination with a 24-120mm on a couple of bodies. I've played a lot of rugby in the past but never photographed it - not as easy as you'd think!

Searching through the focal length data in LR there were very few shots at the extreme end, but I was almost always on the side lines. It's certainly capable of acheiving good results and the relatively 'wide' aperture for a non-elite lens is a bonus in Winter light.

Here's a link to a mediocre set of shots taken at a local club. The camera/lens is more capable than the Tog :)

NB - just noticed only the shots from the 15th November are in fact the 200-500mm (earlier ones are the Tamron 150-600, sorry)

Last edited:
Back