Nikon 24mm f1.4g or Nikon 24mm f1.8G

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Apologies if this has been asked before but I'm looking for opinions on which of these is the best to go for. I could stretch my budget to the 1.4g but has anyone had both lenses and could they offer any insights and what made them pick the one they now use. I know the 1.4g is highly rated and considered one of Nikon's finest but is it worth saving the pennies and getting the highly rated 1.8g model? Thanks.

It all depends on what you are shooting and how you shoot with fast primes. For example - for me, of my fast primes - I rarely shoot below f2.2 usually kicking around 2.8-3.2 for an (in my opinion) acceptable depth of field.

If you’re always shooting in really, really low light and find the 1.8 not fast enough you’ll need the 1.4.

For me - the 1.4 and fast primes are really, really nice but in my opinion - not of much practical benefit over the considerably more affordable 1.8 equivalents.

I would be using it in some really really low light, possibly night sky pictures as well so that's why I was thinking more of the f1.4g. I know it's a different focal length and brand but I had the original FD 85mm f1.2L many many years ago and I loved the things you could do because of that aperture. Thanks for the reply too.

Not lenses I know personally but I'd select on image quality and rendering, weight and portability, benefit of an extra half stop over increased ISO as much as anything. If the 1.4 isn't better in one of those then there's no advantage over the 1.8.

Not lenses I know personally but I'd select on image quality and rendering, weight and portability, benefit of an extra half stop over increased ISO as much as anything. If the 1.4 isn't better in one of those then there's no advantage over the 1.8.

I suspect the 1.4 might be.

The 24mm to get is the Sigma ART 24 - it’s the best of the lot

I've owned both, and still own the 1.8g. Honestly, the 1.8 is sharper, much faster to focus, lighter and more accurate with focus to boot. Image quality is great as is the bokeh.

Conversely, with the 35mm i chose the 1.4g which although slower to focus, has much nicer bokeh.

I have considered the Sigma ART 24mm f1.4 but I'm a little concerned about the sealing on them and how well they handle rain. I was out today in the rain using my D810 with a 50mm f1.8g and it never worried me once.

I have considered the Sigma ART 24mm f1.4 but I'm a little concerned about the sealing on them and how well they handle rain. I was out today in the rain using my D810 with a 50mm f1.8g and it never worried me once.

The 50mm 1.8g isn't weather sealed. I know they have a token mount gasket but the rest of it is pretty open to the elements. The Sigma Art stuff isn't sealed either (don't think they even have a mount gasket) but they're made with very tight clearances so I suspect you'd be just as happy to use that in the same sort of conditions. If it's going to get a proper soaking, the 24mm 1.4g would probably be the best bet.

But I'd still vote the Sigma 24mm as being the pick of the bunch. A really wonderful lens.

The 50mm 1.8g isn't weather sealed. I know they have a token mount gasket but the rest of it is pretty open to the elements. The Sigma Art stuff isn't sealed either (don't think they even have a mount gasket) but they're made with very tight clearances so I suspect you'd be just as happy to use that in the same sort of conditions. If it's going to get a proper soaking, the 24mm 1.4g would probably be the best bet.

But I'd still vote the Sigma 24mm as being the pick of the bunch. A really wonderful lens.

I’d just hold an umbrella over the body/lens or get a shower cap, cut a hole in it and stick over the lens/body.

And who shoots in the rain - nothing ever good comes of that :)

All you Sigma owners, have you purchased the dock to sort any focussing issues out or has your lenses not had any problem?

All you Sigma owners, have you purchased the dock to sort any focussing issues out or has your lenses not had any problem?

Yes. A bit of calibration often needed unless it’s just for landscape.

I've taken the plunge and ordered the Sigma so I'll see how it goes. I couldn't justify the price of the Nikon f1.4 and I really did want that extra on the aperture. I'll get the dock too so I can ensure it's all running hunky dory.

I've taken the plunge and ordered the Sigma so I'll see how it goes. I couldn't justify the price of the Nikon f1.4 and I really did want that extra on the aperture. I'll get the dock too so I can ensure it's all running hunky dory.
looking forward to seeing your pics looking to get a sigma 24 f1.4 I have the sigma 35 1.4 art and love it

Amazing news. It is “the one”

I use mine mainly for landscapes and it’s incredible

I know you ordered the Sigma but I was going to say that although the Nikon 24 1.4 is very sharp, it exhibits coma for the night sky photography. For this reason I purchased the 20mm 1.8 (not a typo). It's very light but not weather sealed.

I have the Nikon 24 1.4. I like it because of how it renders photos. All the lenses I buy have a look to the photos they produce and I like the Nikon version of this lens for this reason. For some it is not worth the extra money over the 24 1.8 but it was for me.

Good luck with your Sigma. It is extremely sharp.

after reading this thread I'm going to get the sigma 24 f1.4 art I've got the sigma 35 1.4 art and the 135 f1.8 art to go with my 750 and 850 need to sell some other Nikon zoom lenses

Back