Nikon 300 2.8

cwp

Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Am I making a mistake buying a good second-hand non vr version for £1250.00?
Or just keep on saving. I have tried the lens on a D700 the only draw back I think it seemed slow in focusing. Has any one made the switch from non vr to the vr model?
I know one thing it need a monopod for it.
:help::thinking:

If it is a plane old AF is it still a good lens or is the vr version much better

I’ve just checked defo AF model

Well that seems to be the going rate for one of those.

Personally I'd consider a Sigma 300 2.8 HSM for that money (or even a 120-300 2.8). It will focus faster and quieter.

The Nikon may be a tad sharper though.

Also, I wouldnt pay more than what Ffordes are offering one for - they will have a better warranty.

Disclaimer: most of the above is hearsay/guesswork :LOL:

Thanks for that ill reconsider my options as I don’t really need the lens until next year when the motor sport season starts again. And by then I might have the pennies to by the real thing.

Would you consider the 100-300 sigmas better than the Nikon 300 vr?

I am saving the pennies for the Nikon 300 vr version but the Nikon 300 af came along I was just asking if I should bye or carry on saving my money for the vr. But if the sigma is a good option I will consider that as well.

Ah ok. If you have ~£1,200 get a 2nd hand or imported 120-300 2.8. If you have more then save for a VR Nikon 300 2.8. The nikon will be faster to AF, sharper and better colour. In my opinion (and this is what I did) if shooting motorsport get the Sigma 120-300 2.8. The zoom is invaluable! Otherwise you may need a 70-200 as well, and then have to keep swapping lenses. I use the zoom so that I can get the framing right in camera and not have to crop later. The Nikon VR will perform better in terms of quality though. HTH :)

I have the 80-400 Nikon and yes I know its not the best lens for motor sport but I do like the images it produces so that was going to be my zoom lens with the Nikon 300 vr as my main lens.

Nikon vr all the way,if you get the sigma ure gonna have all the what if questions every time the sig gets used:D

I'm just making the swap from a 300mmF2.8 AF lens. I was gobsmacked at the sharpness and the way the subject just jump out of the picture and the overall quality of the lens, but ....... it's big and the focus is noticeably slower than AFS.

I'm expecting delivery of the AFS VR in the next couple of days, so I'll be able to compare them in depth before the AF goes back. The new AFS VR is a bit smaller and lighter than the AF and to my mind the image quality is easily as good.

Kev

Ah ok. If you have ~£1,200 get a 2nd hand or imported 120-300 2.8. If you have more then save for a VR Nikon 300 2.8. The nikon will be faster to AF, sharper and better colour. In my opinion (and this is what I did) if shooting motorsport get the Sigma 120-300 2.8. The zoom is invaluable! Otherwise you may need a 70-200 as well, and then have to keep swapping lenses. I use the zoom so that I can get the framing right in camera and not have to crop later. The Nikon VR will perform better in terms of quality though. HTH :)

I looked at this http://www.skearsphoto.com/used-dig...-apo-hsm-nikon-af-inc-case-cir-polariser.html but decided that for me the Nikon VR was a better bet.

Kev

Back