Nikon 300mm prime hood stuck on

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
My Nikon prime 300mm F4 has the lens hood stuck fully extended. Its the type that twists and retracts. Doesn't come off. Its stuck fully extended and ive tried everything to loosen it. Rubber bands, rubber gloves etc etc. I don't want to knock it or use anything that might damage the lens, so my only thought now would be to drill a hole in either side of the hood and put a thin long bar through it and use that as leverage.
Any other ideas before I take drastic action?

I think I’d rather leave it extended than resort to drilling it.

Does it slide over the outside of the lens barrel or is it internal? If the former, how about sitting the lens upright, front element pointing downward and get some penetrating oil into the gap between hood and barrel? Leave it overnight like that. It will run down the inside of the hood so won’t go on the front element but obviously you need to be careful when you pick the lens up to clean it off.

I don't know how much it owes you but if it were mine I might also try freezing it or even heating it up to about 50 deg and then try move it. But I don't want to be responsible if it melts!

IIRC, those hoods are metal... I would try wrapping the hood in a heating pad of some sort in the hopes of getting some localized thermal expansion.

or a hair dryer to heat the hood part up a little bit

for getting a grip on the hood maybe a jar lid remover the ones with a rubber band

Last edited:
Back