Nikon 70-200 2.8 G VR MkI with FTZ

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. Looking for some advice on whether the MkI Nikon 70-200 VR G lens is still a good choice on a Z6 camera using the FTZ adapter?

I'm obviously looking to get the lens used and there are good examples out there for a good price. So much that it's more affordable than the f4 version or the variable aperture 70-300. I know it's bigger and heavier than those. I also know I can't afford a native Z lens in this range!

I'll probably be using it to chase my kids around the park and some landscape stuff, nothing professional, but I still want it to work well.

I know the Tamron G2 and the later Nikon versions are better optically and I've ruled out the Sigma lenses.

So is the 70-200 VR G MkI still a good lens in 2024?

Edit: I bought it. Now need to see if it's as good as I hoped in some light

Last edited:
Sorry not answering your question, but if at all this possible save up a bit more and try and get the Vrii. This is what I use with my z6ii and am happy with it.

I used that lens a lot when I was shooting equestrian. Always on DSLR. I found it fast to focus and plenty accurate enough. Just had some vignette wide open. Never bothered me. Probably shot over 100,000 frames on it. I’m sure it’ll still be a great performer today.

I used that lens a lot when I was shooting equestrian. Always on DSLR. I found it fast to focus and plenty accurate enough. Just had some vignette wide open. Never bothered me. Probably shot over 100,000 frames on it. I’m sure it’ll still be a great performer today.
I'm not too worried about vignetting as I use Photolab and that tends to have all the lens correction built in for distortion, vignette and sharpness.

Sounds like it's still good today :)

When I was looking to buy a 70-200, I was keeping an eye on the VR and VR II as they'd be most appropriate for my needs and budget. I get the impression that they're both considered respectable performers, so condition is going to be the key here. Given the age of the components, deterioration could well hinder what would otherwise be a great lens. If possible, inspect and test as thoroughly as you can before parting with your cash (y)

Thanks for the feedback. I was umming and ahhing over whether to get the MkI or mkii, but I've gone for the MkI for a couple of reasons. Mpb have good warranty and returns policy. I didn't like the focus breathing of the mkii. I found a site that showed lens comparisons and I felt it was pretty good compared with the mkii and not worth it to me to spend more.

But the thing that really swung it for me was I saw Nigel Dansen on a YouTube video using it with an FTZ on a Z7. And if it's good enough for him, then it's good enough for me!

The VR2 has better edge to edge performance than the VR1, simply because when the VR1 was launched all Nikon DSLRs were DX format....issue with VR2 is focus breathing but it's never bothered me. I guess if you go Z7-8-9 the VR2 or the FL will be strongly recommended as resolution will demand better definition at the edges whereas it's not quite as critical on the 24MP Z6..

I never had a problem with my VR1, only changed it as I wanted something 'newer'...

Didn't I read somewhere Nikon are phasing out the DSLR lenses or stopped producing. they are now only doing lenses for Z system cameras.

Didn't I read somewhere Nikon are phasing out the DSLR lenses or stopped producing. they are now only doing lenses for Z system cameras.
It makes the used market for F mount lenses that work with an FTZ a nice place.

I'd love a full Z lens setup, but it's too pricey for me and I'll probably sticking with second hand F mount with FTZ.

It's the best of both worlds - nice Z camera, excellent F glass.

The older G version is no longer on the list of supported lenses... i.e. it cannot be repaired. The VRII and FL versions are still supported; and the FL should remain on the list longer.

It makes the used market for F mount lenses that work with an FTZ a nice place.

I'd love a full Z lens setup, but it's too pricey for me and I'll probably sticking with second hand F mount with FTZ.

It's the best of both worlds - nice Z camera, excellent F glass.
My thinking is much the same and the reason I've bought a Z body so I can use my older high quality f-mount lenses which are handy but I don't use enough to justify paying for a new Z-mount version. I've been using the 70-200mm f2.8 which I originally had for the D700 and been happy with it on the z body but I didn't respond earlier as I'm not fussy enough. I've been enjoying having 200mm at f2.8 again and while it's a fairly big lens, the internal zoom makes for good handling.

Well it arrived today.
It's been pitch black out since I've got it so only tested it out in the hallway of the house. For a "well used" lens it seems perfectly workable. Definitely dwarfs my Z6 and with the extra length of the FTZ it all gets quite long. Build quality seems very good - it's a robust feeling piece of kit.

I had a Sigma 70-200 many moons ago and the Nikon feels a big step up from that and might even be thinner if longer.
I'll try get out with it as soon as I can, which will probably be Friday. I'll have to start taking my bigger camera bag out with me again!

81f0c4ee88d47832fc7f00a92737.jpg

Oh, I also got a nice new strap today too that I'm pretty pleased with

0b3f189c962ec8c1d0d818e54db6.jpg

Back