nikon 70-300 vr any good

Name
SAM MOLYNEUX
Edit My Images
Yes
nikon 70-300 vr. Is this a good lens just wondering
im looking to get something to get good shot's of motorsport.

It's actually a good piece of glass :) I've had one for a while but haven't used it too much due to the 70-200VR taking over.

I'll be sticking it in the for sale section in the next couple of days or so.

I'll put some pictures up tomorrow showing bekoh / low light work if you like?

how come you use the 70- 200 more is it a better lens? and yes any pics you have got would be good. whats the price :)

I have one, they retail for about £300 at the moment, see camera price buster. Its a great lens for the money, nice and sharp and the VR is excellent, managed to get sharp shots hand held at 300mm with a shutter speed of 1/60 sec.

Hey Sam

The 70-200 VR is a 2.8 aperture throughout, internal focusing and lots of glass :) The 70-300 though it has a better reach, but the aperture is smaller and falls to 5.6 at 300mm.

It's still very sharp, and i've never experienced any chromatic abberation at any focal lenghts. 70mm is a little soft wide open, and vignetting is ever so slightly visible, but for the money it's much better than the Sigma 70-300 APO DG for example :)

LMFAO!

I'll be wanting at least £225 for the old lass (y)

I was very disappointed when i first got this lens - i found it virtually impossible to get a sharp picture and was just about ready to send it to Nikon when i tried it without the skylight filter i had fitted from new - it was like a new lens and I'm quite pleased with the results now (y)

any poor quality shots are now solely down to me .

heres a couple of examples

1st
1/1600s
F5.3
ISO 200
195mm

lamb_looking.jpg

2nd

1/500
F9
iso 500
300mm

bodyboard.jpg

My Nikon D80 came with a 18-70 lens and was advised to buy the Sigma 70 -300 APO but I tried the 70-300 VR first and was impressed not just with the image sharpness hand held but the build quality also.I would recommend it but I`d listen to the more experienced on the forum as I`m still clambering up the learning curve myself.

I had (have still got infact) the Sigma 70-300mm but the non APO version, the Nikon blows the sigma out of the water. The Sigma was soft at 200-300mm, had really bad chromatic abberation . The Nikon is super sharp in comparison and I've only seen chromatic abberation once and that was on a hazy day shooting the warship that was there for the Sunderland Airshow and it was only a slight amount.

I think it's a good lens too. I bought one to replace my nikon 70-300G lens. It is a lot faster at focusing plus sharper too. OH and the VR is great:)

This was taken at 300mm and 1/60th
original.jpg

probably not the best but my first attempt at wildlife:|

Back