Nikon 80-200mm AF-S & AF-D

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I've finally come to the conclusion that the 80-200mm VR is out of my price range and if I'm totally honest I'm not sure that the VR will be of much benefit for my type of shooting.

From what I can gather both of the above lenses have superb optics and the AF-S version has faster AF than the D and I just wanted to know if any members on here have used either (or both) of these lenses and what their opinions are, particularly if the AF is quicker on the S version. I'm currently using a D70 and I'm not sure if that will have any effect.

Thanks,

Colin.

The AF-S is pretty good. We're currently replacing with the VR lenses (next month, so I'm told though I'll believe it when I see it - bl**dy useless QMs dept...).

The lens I currently use is about two generations old (originally designed to go with the F5/F90X) and is optically superb...
There are loads of SH lenses out there - Grays of Westminster have some and when they say 'Mint' - I s**t you not, they mean Mint. They wouldn't take my 'Mint' F5 as there was an almost undetectable scuff on the base of the camera. Best they'd do was offer it as VGC and down-price it by £250!
I kept it.

Not interested in my D1x then... :(

Back