Nikon 80mm - 300mm VR lens

Name
Shane
Edit My Images
No
Whats peoples opinions on this lens?

I'm looking at trading in my F65 + twins lens kit + £190 for a second hand one tomorrow?
Is this a resonable deal?
I want it to fit on my D40x.

Do you mean the Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED Lens?

If so its meant to be very nice. No idea of the value of the F65+twin lens kit, but I know you can get the lens for £330 from warehouseexpress, and would imagine Kerso does a good deal on them too.

The 70-300mm VR is a great lens sits nicely between the standard glass and the pro 2.8 stuff. For the money its a great lens, do a quick search theres lots of threads about it ;).

From the reviews I read before I bought mine it appeared be be best between 70 and 200 with the 300 end being a bit soft. That said I've got some very nice pics at the 300 end. Sometimes I think close up they appear to be a bit soft, but that might not be the lens, it could be slight subject or camera movement, a fraction out of focus, or just me thinking they're soft because of the review I read :thinking:

It will work on your D40x as it has the AFS motor. Interestingly it will also work on any full frame AF camera you have (or will get in the future). So if you don't need the lens now then you could consider saving a bit more and keeping your F65. If you save enough you can always go for gold and get the 70-200 f2.8 VR ;) .

i've had a look on flea-bay and F65's don't seem to go for too much. It doesn't seem to be too much of a bad deal.

From the reviews I read before I bought mine it appeared be be best between 70 and 200 with the 300 end being a bit soft. That said I've got some very nice pics at the 300 end.

Yes, my friend who I do most of my photography with who has a Nikon has this lens and agrees with your statement there.

Basically, its the equivalent of the Canon 70-300 IS which I have and has pretty much exactly the same characteristics.

If you are looking for good zoom lens results for around 300 quid I don't think you can go wrong with one of these.

Certainly its the best introduction to longer lenses for an honest price.

Whats peoples opinions on this lens?

I'm looking at trading in my F65 + twins lens kit + £190 for a second hand one tomorrow?
Is this a resonable deal?
I want it to fit on my D40x.

Your title is 80 - 300. As far as I can see Nikon don't make an 80 - 300.
Do you mean the 70 - 300 or the 80 - 400 ?

That will go well with your D40x. I'm sure it will give you some great results.

Plus Customs duty of course so can add roughly another 20% to this total bringing it near UK price.

They say no vat in item title but if you read the small print they don't guarantee it and will only reduce the parcel value if you request it, which is fine if it doesn't go missing or get damaged. Then of course once it breaks down or requires warranty work you need to post it back to Hong Kong as Nikon will not carry out warranty work here if not bought in the UK.

Not so much of a bargain, although initially it looks a good enough deal, there are UK sellers selling within the UK for about £280 inc P+P so that might be a better option.

Mike.

I did get the lens, I'm certainly impressed. Looking forward to getting out with it.
I'm surprised how quickly it focuses for a telephoto.

I did get the lens, I'm certainly impressed. Looking forward to getting out with it.
I'm surprised how quickly it focuses for a telephoto.

Great stuff, my brother will be so jealous of you as he is after the very same lens for his D80, keep us posted as to how you get on with it and don't forget to post some of the images too.

Mike.

Back