Nikon action sports gear?

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Ok, just advice please about shooting fast motorcycle action at race tracks. I was at Knockhill race circuit yesterday and was wondering what the Pro photographers shoot with....??....I'm guessing a Nikkor 600mm f/4, but which camera bodies are the Pro's using I wonder??, full frame or a cropped body...?

Is a fast buffer rate required I'm sure...?

Any advice welcome -- cheers!

Peter

I shoot cars, not bikes, but over the years I've moved up from entry level Canon 350D to a Canon 1DX Mk 2. Speed and accuracy of AF is primary requirement, rarely shoot bursts which trouble the buffer - although its nice to know I could if the need arose.

The pro's with Nikon gear will use the D3, D4 and D5 as full frame and as stated above speed and accuracy of the AF is the most important factor. That said the D500 is superb for a cropped camera and is very fast. Lens wise it depends where you can get and some circuits have much better spectator access than others. The big events are notoriously poor whereas my local circuit Oulton Park has some great places to get action shots and you do not need a huge lens.

Hi, to take pics at vintage car and motorcycle events I bought a Nikon D800 and the Nikkor 4/70-200 used, and I am very satisfied with the results.

I can get very close to the action on public roads. So, if you are looking for a low-cost entry solution ... ---

Back