Nikon AF-D primes

Edit My Images
Yes
All,

I’m looking to add a few primes to my gear list, primarily for when I travel and portrait work - as I personally find I take better photos with primes. Anyway....

I had a bad copy of the 24 2.8 and wasn’t impressed. I’ve been looking at the following:

35 f2 and 20 f2.8 - are either of these any good? Or have they been surpassed by their modern contemporaries?

I prefer the older af-d lenses as I’m always worried about af-s motor failures ! But if the image quality is significantly improved on the newer g lenses then I’ll have to live and let live. They’ll mostly be shot on a D810.

Thanks
Chris

If you're fine with the slower AF and noise [not too good for videa, best to MF for that] of the older lenses, some of them can easily hang with the more modern G lenses. The 85 1.8D, 50 1.8D and the 60mm 2.8D macro are at least 3 I know of that are tack sharp and the IQ output is just as good as the G versions. I've never used the 35 F2 or 20 2.8, but I imagine they'll be similar.

I remember doing some research for the 35mm f2 back when I was looking at a 35. Some people loved them, some people just thought they were okay. None of them said they were bad though! If I remember correctly the 50mm 1.8D gets similar reception and I love mine! For the price the 35s go for it’s hard to beat though I think :) I ended up with a Sigma at 3 times the price and probably 3 times the weight :LOL:

As an aside, I also have an 85mm 1.4D which is a superb lens so don’t necessarily write them off because they’re getting on :D

Back