Beginner Nikon AF fine tune help

Name
Damen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys I have a nikon D600 and I sometimes get front or back focusing when I am focusing on the subject, I have a tamron 70 200 f2. 8 lens, this is only every so often, I'm following the steps of AF fine tune, and wen I hold in AF M button on the side and hold record at the same time for the camera to select some number level what's best at the focal point, I don't get the message to press OK and the camera do it,

I assume this is fine tune on the lens itself and not the D600 as only the latest Nikon DSLRs (D7500, D500, D780, D850 D5/D6) have an auto-fine tune feature. Surprised you say you sometimes get front or back focussing as it should either be accurate all of the time, or if you are affected it will be front focussing or back-focussing all of the time.

Plenty of youtube tutorials available showing how you can fine tune a lens. Usually print off a 'target', set the lens at the focal length you use most and fix aperture at f2.8. Just need plenty of space and light. Unfortunately with Nikon, if you calibrate at one end of the focal range (eg 200mm) there is a change you'll be front or back-focussing at the other end (eg 70mm). You can always pick a point between the two and then the lens should work fairly well unless there is a gulf (ie the lens is poorly calibrated at just one end of the scale).

As I have a D810 I bought Reikan Focal and that works for me, and since I have D500 and D850 too they allow comparison over the three cameras. It's not that expensive and let's you keep on top of the lenses you have for your D600.

Nikon D600 does have af fine tune as I recall the frustration!

Do you have the first version of the Tamron lens as the later one came with the dock?

If you only have the in body option on the D600 then it’s imperfect as you can only pick one focal length and one focal distance on the zoom lens. It’s your choice really but if you adjust for one you may well create problems at another focal distance!

If you have the Tamron dock then it’s much better but tricky to get right!

FWIW I always found the D600 to be inaccurate with focusing at least compared to a D750 or D850.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, yes the D600 body, it does have it, your right there Brazo, I have the 70 200 f2.8 tamron G2 lens, its only every so often that I get the front of back focusing but it is quite annoying, your right about the one focal length score at one time too, I may leave it as is then I think, on my D3400 I don't have this issue at all

Have you got a focus point checker ,it may well be a case of the focus point on the photo is not exactly where you think it was . Had this with a mate of mine brought me his camera / lens to micro adjust and I realised he was using multi point AF ,switched to single point problem solved in 10 seconds

Thanks guys, yes the D600 body, it does have it, your right there Brazo, I have the 70 200 f2.8 tamron G2 lens, its only every so often that I get the front of back focusing but it is quite annoying, your right about the one focal length score at one time too, I may leave it as is then I think, on my D3400 I don't have this issue at all
You could get the Tamron Dock as that will calibrate it at all dock lengths and distances.

If your camera is back or front focussing then it will be on EVERY photo not once in a while .. if you don’t have a focus point checker on your computer . Take a series of shots and before removing your card check each photo on the rear screen with the focus point illuminated .
I’ll almost guarantee this is where you will find the problem .. also I do hope your using single point AF and not multi point .. had that problem with a friend who wanted me to do a AF fine tune for him ..

Back