Nikon AF-S 14-24 mm F2.8G ED - Zoom Not Smooth Query

Edit My Images
Yes
Last week after waiting for almost six weeks I received my Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED. After many years of using various Nikon lenses this is the first lens that does not have a smooth action when turning the zoom ring over it's full range. Unfortunately I had to drive over 50 miles to collect it and did not think of trying it at the point of purchase. I did contact my supplier about my concerns and they were unable to confirm if this stiffness was correct or not. He has now other lens to check against, and possible will not have any more for several weeks. Has and member of this form purchase one of these lenses? If so can you help with your experience. The lens is smooth between 24-27mm, and between about 48-52mm. All other areas are considerable stiffer. This does not seem correct to me.

Maybe I'm missing something here, how do you get a focal length of 24-27 & 48-52 out of a 14-24 lens ?

Whatever, it doesn't sound right, there may be slight variations across the zoom range but nothing "considerable"

I assume he means the AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8. I can't help with this particular lens, but my sigma 24-70's zoom ring is stiff from around 24-28mm.

Sorry it's getting a bit late in the day - I should have said the lens is:- Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED.

You can change the title of your original thread using the edit function. I will clear up any confusion.

Nikon lenses have a tendency to do this. Most of my pro grade lenses bar the 80-200 f/2.8 have a stiff zoom. Some are stiff zooming out and some zooming in. They loosen after a while though. Doesn't particularly bother me.

Hi King Boru, Thanks for the advice on the lens I feel a little happier now. Over the years I have purchased many Nikon Pro lenses (all f2.8) and I have never had one as stiff as this. Perhaps the seals are different on this lens. I will put it through it's paces as soon as possible and see if it improves. Unfortunately none of my local pro photographers have got their lenses yet. The D3's are easily available but the two new lenses are still tricky to get hold of.

Thanks for the advise about the forum, I did try to edit it, but for some reason I could not.

Any other comments from anyone who has this lens will still be appreciated.

My 17-55 get slightly stiffer to rotate towards the 55mm end, and I'm not worried at all. It depends on how the elements move when traversing the zoom range. for example, on my 17-55, from 17mm through to 55mm, the front element moves back into the body, and then back out towards the long end. I very much doubt it's anything to worry about unless it's really apparent?

If however, it is making any form of untoward noise when zooming, then that is something to worry about, like if it's grinding or specific points of friction etc.

Thanks Woodsy, I have all the Nikon lenses you also list plus many other, this lens is nothing like any of my other Nikon's. I looks as if I will have to wait till one of my fellow photographers get their's and do a comparison, or till my supplier gets another delivery. I will feedback when I get a positive result. Still would like the comments of someone who has one, If any other member of this group has one.

I have today managed to locate another photographer who has this Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED lens.

We both checked these lenses side by side and his lens is as all my other Nikon zoom lenses very smooth to operate and not at all like the one I have received. As we can now say this lens is faulty I have spoken to my dealer who arranging for a replacement.

Just goes to prove even Nikon have problems with quality control or packing some time times.

Glad it's getting sorted chap.

Joe, nice one on the 17-55. I remember you saying you wanted one, but had no idea you finally got one. you loving it?! :D

It's strange that Joe said his was stiff also, It makes me wonder if Joe's is also faulty. I will see how I get on with the replacement when it arrives. Certainly the one I tried yesterday was very smooth and felt just the same as any of my other Nikon zooms. I will feedback as soon as possible (hopefully within the next two weeks).

Good luck with that mate. :)

I had thought that it was fairly common (even standard) on the 17-55 as I had seen plenty of user reviews saying that the zoom ring was stiff. Who knows! :shrug:

Woodsy, yeah it is a lovely lens. I was finding it a bit heavy and wasnt really feelign the benefit of it until at Silverstone the other weekend I was able to take shots in the pit garages at 2.8 instead of upping the ISO. From then I was happy! I still put the 18-70 in the bag when I need a wide zoom just-in-case, such as when I go shooting birds.

:)

Back