Nikon AF-S 55-200mm VR - any good?

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Evening all, managed to get a little bit of cash for my birthday (not loads, only £150) and want to get a new lens for my Nikon D40. I'd love to get a 12-24mm but way out of my budget at mo so I thought about getting the 55-200mm Nikon VR as it fits within budget - Being new to photography, is this a good lens for the money, I appreciate its completely different to the 12-24mm, but would it be a good investment? Thanks in advance. Dave.

Cracking wee lens for the D40 - if you can still pick up a new one for around that money then go for it (y)

Yes it's a very good lens for the money, in my opinion. Sharp, good image quality and the bonus of VR for lower light handheld work. I really liked mine when I had it.

Thanks chaps, I must say I thought the price was good especially for a VR model. Amazon have it at £168 and ebay at c£140 + postage (£10). Just been looking through the forum and another chap suggested the Sigma HSM option - would you recommend a preference over the 2? Ta muchly, Dave.

got the same Nikon lens,bought of ebay a year ago from America for £115 delivered,very good lens,noticed all lens prices have gone up this year though !

Yes it's a very good lens for the money, in my opinion. Sharp, good image quality and the bonus of VR for lower light handheld work. I really liked mine when I had it.

and auto-focus Defiance? average, as fast as the AF-S VR 70x300mm f4-5.6 IF ED or quicker???

that info is what i've already read thanx kardo.

apart from the standard specs, what i need to know fundamentally is the auto-focus the same or better than than the AF-S VR 70x300mm???

that info is what i've already read thanx kardo.

apart from the standard specs, what i need to know fundamentally is the auto-focus the same or better than than the AF-S VR 70x300mm???

Sorry I haven't used it before so I can not help you. but I doubt it would be better than the 70-300mm VR auto focus

Back