Beginner Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens vs Nikon AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR DX Lens

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

First off this is not a which is better thread, this is more to ask why would I buy the 35mm? I have the above 18 - 55 kit lens and was thinking of getting the 35mm. What difference in quality would I see in the same shot with both lenses. I also have a 70 - 300 zoom and would like to buy a prime.

I like to shoot landscapes, food in the kitchen (business purposes) but mainly car shows cars - predominately stationary. Would I get better results from the 35mm over my kit lens.

Sorry for the many questions

Regards

Jim

I think you should also have a look at the Nikkor 50mm f 1.8 as well! (or the f 1.4 if you are feeling rich!)

The prime lenses will give you much better low light performance which should result in sharper images against the 18-55mm, but you will have to zoom with your feet! ( Might be not so easy at a car show though!)

The 35mm 1.8G is an excellent lens, pin sharp across the frame, you won't regret it and they can be had for reasonable money as well.

Great lens for the money, buy a secondhand one (£90 odd) if it's not for you sell it on and get your money back.

Fantastic lens!

Although, I find myself using it less since I picked up a 24mm f2.8.

Whatever suits you best.

Last edited:
The 35 mm is fantastic. I just spent a few days in London and took the 35 as well as my 18-55 kit lens and my 55-200. The 35 was the only lens I used and needed. The images are superb compared to the kit lens. I did consider trading the 35 for a 50 1.4 but I at the moment i am more than happy with the 35.

Personally I would go with the 35 on a crop sensor, which you'll have given the 18-55 kit lens. 35mm on a crop is a nicer focal length than a 50 which (for me) ends up sitting awakardly between not wide enough and not long enough.

I like it wide though, so I have a 24 as well which is quite nice too as it equates the feel of a 35mm lens on an old film camera or full frame dSLR.

Thanks for all the replies, highly appreciated.

The 35 sounds like a winner, maybe a silly question but whats the picture quality like compared to the 18-55 set to 35. I assume the 35 is highly noticibly better.

Regards

jim

Yes, the 35mm is better than the zoom, a lot better. It's not the world's greatest lens by any means, but it is nice. I think for your food photography it's a no brainer!

Thanks alan, just what I needed to know. Order has now been placed, looking forward to using it al Billing

12th 13th of july for the VBOA (vauxhall bedford opel association). Have been going for about 8-9 years appart from a couple of years ago when it flooded. Some very nice cars are shown, alot come from Germany, Belgium even Switzerland. Its a very popular show. Looking forward to it, just wish I knew how to take some of the spectacular shots other people on here can take. I need to get to grips with settings but, As they say practice, practice, practice lol and plenty of explinations to get reading on here.

Wel it arrived today, ordered from Amazon 4pm Monday arrived today (Tuesday 4pm) free delivery. Had option of been delivered today at cost, maximum upto just over £20 for guaranteed by sunday lol.

Only had a liitle mess with it, took some shots of ornaments on the fireplace, quite impressed.

Back