Beginner Nikon android app

Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone suggest a decent app for use with my nikon d5300. The nikon app has very bad reviews and very limited functionality. Is there an alternative app? I saw that there's one called dslr dashboard but that requires a USB lead which kind of defeats the object of having a remote app.
Any advice greatly received.
Thanks

The D5300 has wireless built in so DSLR Dashboard will connect wirelessly to the camera with a compatible Android device. By all accounts the Nikon App is alleged to be buggy and has very limited functionality. I use DSLR Dashboard on my D3200 with the Nikon WIFI dongle as this camera does not have built in WIFI to connect to a Samsung Tab. It's a great App and adds functionality to the camera such as exposure bracketing, focus bracketing and GPS data, omitted on the D3200. The Nikon App must be fully uninstalled before adding DSLR Dashboard, they won't co-exist. Nikon really have been shown up by this App Developer, they could do far worse than to take him on!

Ah, that makes more sense. That's an easy decision then. As soon as I get my camera delivered, I'll be ready to go.
Thanks for that. I thought it strange that I should need a cable in this day and age.
Incidentally, what phone are you using? I have a samsung galaxy s4. Should work on that right?

I can't see any reason why the Galaxy S4 would not work with WIFI. Simply turn on the camera WIFI and search for the connection on the phone to connect. My phone is a Galaxy Ace, I haven't tried to connect using this as I prefer to use my Galaxy Tab 2.7.0 because of the size of the screen but would probably work. It's probable that the D5300 uses the same hardware as the Nikon WU 1A and WU 1B dongles and you might have to select this in DSLR Dashboard. In use the only minor issues I've found are that camera battery life is reduced and that the working range is better if files are not sent to the Tab after taking a photo.

The Galaxy S4 will definitely work when attached by cable and an On The Go USB adapter according to reviews. I have tested DSLR Dashboard cable operation on the Nikon D40 (no live view), Nikon D7000 (WIFI dongle will not work with this camera) and the Canon 5D2. All work but the Canon has more limited functionality. Support for the Nikon D5300, D610 and Df is specifically mentioned in the latest version of DSLR Dashboard App on the Google Play Site.

It will cost nothing to try and I hope all works well when you are able to try it..

That's great and a very comprehensive reply. Thanks for checking for me. I'll post here when I get the camera delivered and get to grips with it all
Thanks Harvey

Just for information... I had trouble searching for this - it's qdslrdashboard

Cheers... guess I didn't look hard enough!

Back