Nikon bulb setting question

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks, I just got the infra red remote for my D80 as I want to do some experimental night shots and star trail stuff, but in the Nikon manual it said the shutter will close after 30 minutes. I assumed it would stay open as long as I didnt press the remote again (depending on battery life of course).

Is this 30 minutes normal? If I used a cable release would it still be the same or would I get more time? I dont know if I will need more than that but I am curious. Thanks(y)

30 minutes is normal,but to be honest the D80 isn't all that great for really long exposure shots and you can get all sorts of weird electrical interference in your images as resistance builds up. I'd say even 30 minutes was pushing it for one of these, I don't think I'd be wanting to leave it taking a shot for an hour or anything like that.

Hi folks, I just got the infra red remote for my D80 as I want to do some experimental night shots and star trail stuff, but in the Nikon manual it said the shutter will close after 30 minutes. I assumed it would stay open as long as I didnt press the remote again (depending on battery life of course).

Is this 30 minutes normal? If I used a cable release would it still be the same or would I get more time? I dont know if I will need more than that but I am curious. Thanks(y)

is that the ML-L3? whats it like? does it require a widget to be plugged into the camera or does it just work?

Thanks, I didnt realise it could cause problems. Generally I will be only doing 1 or 2 minute exposures for my underground photography, would a couple of minutes be okay or could this cause problems too? Really appreciate the advice:)

Timmy yes thats the one. Dont need to plug anything in, its a timy thing with only a single button, very simple and you only need to set the camera to Remote using the button on top (same one for self timer/multiple shots etc)

Then just point it at the camnera and press and thats all really. Its quite neat really.

You might find the Ebay radio trigger version to be better for underground stuff. The problem with the Nikon remote is that it relies on line of sight, in other words you (or at least the remote) needs to be in front of the camera (and fairly close by) for it to work. The radio remotes work up to about 300ft away (above ground anyway) and can be fired from anywhere - I've triggered my D80 from over 200ft through trees and parked cars with mine with no problems.

Thanks Flash I had no idea radio remotes existed! Wow this digital photography is great and what a cool forum this is, so helpful(y)

Back