nikon creative lighting

Edit My Images
No
anyone here shoot studio work soley with their Flashguns or creative lighting as Nikon call it .. I like the idea of its portability but is it up to the job ?

I think studio work with battery powered strobes is achievable (just about).

Check out

www.strobist.com and www.zarias.com

I recall reading one of Zacks blogs where he attempted to light a full length portrait using just one off-camera strobe. He pulled it off pretty well too.

The main issue with battery strobes is getting enough light to cover a full length portrait, but as Zack says, it can just about be done.

To be honest, if you spend your money on a low end studio flash you will save money as compared to buying Nikon strobes and you will have a bigger power output.

I have done a few shots in studio situations using 2 SB-600s and my D300, but mainly use them for fill in - see http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=103177

These photos were taken using my setup but without any diffusion. If you use a softbox or umbrella it is possible, although you ideally need more power then the bottom of the range SB-600 - I've used an SB-800 and 900 and they work well.

Hope this helps

George

Back