Nikon D200 - first impressions

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
The new body turned up about an hour and a half ago and first impressions are this is a much more grown up camera than the D70, it is certainly bigger, chunkier and feels more robust. Two things that are immediately noticeable are the larger viewfinder and bigger LCD screen although apparently it eats batteries so I'll probably switch off the preview function.

Despite it coming from the same stable the controls are very different and I'm currently trying to get my head around the Custom Banks (don't ask!) and the AF areas but luckily the seller sent a copy of Thom Hogans E-Book which is supposed to be very good.

I've got to go out for a couple of hours but I'll try and take some comparison images later.

d2003.jpg

d2001.jpg

d2002.jpg

Apologies for the picture quality but they were taken on a crappy P&S.

Looks great..... green with envy in the North!!

Best you update your wish list!!!

Looks the business - and that coming from a Canon user:)

(y)

Warspite said:
and that coming from a Canon user:)
Why Canon can't implement something like that screen guard thingy beats me. Looks good Hacker (y)

SammyC said:
Cripes that does look complicated!

It is actually a very intuitive camera and much easier to use ... imo ... than the D70 Colin has compared it to here ... :D

Agreed, everything is within easy reach and not hidden in menus - nice upgrade :)

A daft question possibly, but with the battery grip on the bottom are you still able to mount the camera on a tripod? I assume the grip covers the original tripod mounting point.

BobR said:
A daft question possibly, but with the battery grip on the bottom are you still able to mount the camera on a tripod? I assume the grip covers the original tripod mounting point.

Yes - the grips themselves have a thread built into the bottom (y)

Hoodi said:
How're you finding the new AF module? :D

:bang: :shrug: would probably be most apt! There are so many variations that to begin with I'll use Continuos servo on either Single-area AF or Dynamic-area, I'll have to test them to see which is best suited for each situation. I've reset the first custom bank to default until I can get my head around it and change without thinking.

I've got an all day concert to cover tomorrow so just been to buy another couple of 2gb cards (Sssshhhhh!) but I'll also have to watch battery power, hopefully they'll have a spare powerpoint there.

heh! Wasn't reffering to the AF areas, as much as AF speed - have you noticed an improvement?

It's difficult to tell until I do a real world test but I'll let you know tomorrow. ;)

I've just been out doing a few more macro shots and I'm falling :love: for this camera, I've also just looked at the EXIF data from my first shot yesterday and the camera has only had 1077 actuations. :D

Thanks Evilowl, that article is exactly what I was looking for and the AF is now set up for my preference. For anyone else with a D200 I can highly recommend it as it is easy to understand.

Hi Hacker - could I ask about the battery grip for the D70 shown in your post - is the Hahnel HND70 model? I thought that the D70 grips needed some sort of infra red tube thingy crawling all over the body I have a D70 and would love to fit a grip. I've seen them avertised about £90.

PS Good shooting with your new 200 I'm very jealous!

Yes it is the Hahnel model (HN-D70) and comes with two batteries. There is the option of using the infra-red thingy but I haven't, no need for it and it works just fine, obviously you don't have a vertical shutter release but I wasn't bothered about that. I got mine from Aspen of Hereford on ebay, very good service and I had it the next day.

It feels good on the camera and adds a bit more weight and balance of you are using a telephoto and/or zoom lens.

Hope this helps.

Colin.

Thanks for the quick reply Colin - I am quite tempted

Geoff

Back