Nikon D200 Users - Who upgraded from a D70/D100 (Thoughts)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.......

I've been umming and arrring over weather to upgrade from my D100 to a D200. What interested me the most is the 11 point AF system, its supposed to be fast and accurate. Image processing is supposed to be a lot better and it offers 5fps which will be an added bonus. Also as far as noise is concerned its supposed to be handling fairly well at higher isos (from what I have read). Also starts from iso100 and the ittl flash system is supposed to be better.

The additonal battery grip mb-d200 is something additional I will purchase on top. I shoot a lot in portrait and the d100 just felt that little bit too light without the mb-d100 batterygrip. I'm quite shakey at times and the added weight enabled me to shoot portraits handheld as low as 1/30 1/50 without the need of a VR lens. Without the added weight I struggled at 1/60.

Its a pain that the en-el3 batteries don't work/fit in the D200. But two of my four are on the recall battery list and apparently they send out en-el3e batteries as replacements which work/fit on the D200.

I'd just like to ask the question, who upgraded from a D70/D100 to a D200 and how do you honestly rate it?

Now I love the D100 and it has produced some of my best works so far plus I'm happy in everyway it peforms. So why am I thinking of changing? Well the D200 AF system is supposed to be much quicker and accurate plus its as they say an "upgrade" so although it won't help me compose/capture better it may produce a "step up" in the quality of my works which I havn't seen or experienced before. (If that kinda makes sense)

Thanks if you can help.....

Ed :)

Hi Ed ... :wave:

I upgraded from a D70S just a month after I got it ... :eek:

Will not bore you with the whys and wherefores ... suffice to say it is an absolutely no regrets move ... even if I did lose a bundle on the D70S and other stuff (batteries included !) ... and still have some odds & sods no use to the D200 ... :p

Anyways ... in comparison to the D70S ... for I know not the D100 ... I found it much, much easier and more intuitive to use ... in this respect it is much like the F3 I had previously ... (y) ... and that is over and above all the latest electronic and technical wizardy that I will probably never get my head fully around ... :puke:

If you are doing it mostly to upgrade then ... in my opinion ... why ponder longer ... when you can have and be using the real thing sooner ... :thinking:

He who hesitates loses out on bundles of fun with the D200 ... :D

If money doesn't enter into the equation then let your heart rule your head I say ... :geek:

HTH ... :p

evilowl said:
You have a PM

Excellent evilowl, just brilliant! Thanks :)

My current lens setup includes a Nikkor f2.8-4 24-85mm (my walkabout) and a Sigma f2.8 70-200mm not forgetting a must have Nikkor f1.8 50mm.

Will need to find one at a respectable price. It really varies!!!!! with some differences nearing £100?! Crazy! I won't be importing one from Hong Kong or anything like that, not when your spending this kind of money on a body. Tbh I'd rather pay that extra bit for one here in the UK, just incase anything goes wrong then for sure the warranty will cover me. I don't want the hassle of shipping it back and being without it.

Ed...

Not sure if you're interested but A J Purdy are doing the body for £1,099 and adding the battery grip for just £99 if ordered at the same time ... here ... :p

http://www.ajpurdy.co.uk/erol.html

Oh ... and don't tell them I said but they will price match if pushed ... :LOL:

Cheapest on a quick search is £1,044 ish ... although by the time you add the grip ... :thinking: ... HTH

Venomator said:
Hi Ed ... :wave:

I upgraded from a D70S just a month after I got it ... :eek:

Will not bore you with the whys and wherefores ... suffice to say it is an absolutely no regrets move ... even if I did lose a bundle on the D70S and other stuff (batteries included !) ... and still have some odds & sods no use to the D200 ... :p

Anyways ... in comparison to the D70S ... for I know not the D100 ... I found it much, much easier and more intuitive to use ... in this respect it is much like the F3 I had previously ... (y) ... and that is over and above all the latest electronic and technical wizardy that I will probably never get my head fully around ... :puke:

If you are doing it mostly to upgrade then ... in my opinion ... why ponder longer ... when you can have and be using the real thing sooner ... :thinking:

He who hesitates loses out on bundles of fun with the D200 ... :D

If money doesn't enter into the equation then let your heart rule your head I say ... :geek:

HTH ...

Woah mate, you have some awesome kit in your signature! I errrr hate you? :D

Thanks for your help also. I just want to feel that I'm making the right decision, spending that sort of money I'll be hoping to deliver the same if not better results than I'm more than happy with (sorry if that dint make any sense)

How is the AF system in comparision to your previous D70? Is it "that much" quicker? and for sure 11 focus points is going to be a plus.

Venomator said:
Ed...

Not sure if you're interested but A J Purdy are doing the body for £1,099 and adding the battery grip for just £99 if ordered at the same time ... here ... :p

http://www.ajpurdy.co.uk/erol.html

Oh ... and don't tell them I said but they will price match if pushed ... :LOL:

Cheapest on a quick search is £1,044 ish ... although by the time you add the grip ... :thinking: ... HTH

Woah! Now that makes it £1198 with the added battery grip (I can count, heheh) But to the point that is the cheapest I've seen so far. Noticed you also get a free 1gb card too! :)

I'm just wondering if they can ship to another address? like my work! Will probably have to give them a ring.

Purdey are OK if you have probs too. I bought my 20D from them and it had card read issues. They exchanged it very promptly with no dramas at all.

Kinobe said:
I'm just wondering if they can ship to another address? like my work! Will probably have to give them a ring.

Yes they will ... they are so very accommodating ... (y)

And they know a thing or two about CS as well ... :p

Highly recommended ... ;)

Venomator said:

Yes they will ... they are so very accommodating ... (y)

And they know a thing or two about CS as well ... :p

Highly recommended ... ;)

Thanks for all your help venomator, you and all who have replied to this thread have been most helpful! As always much appreciated :)

Going to have a proper think about it tomorrow but I'm just about to start my "FS : Nikon D100 Body" ready to post on the work forum tomorrow :eek: :D But weather I post it or not is another thing!

What I'm worried about is like neglecting my other D100 backup body :( So not to sure weather to sell both (if I do it) I love the D100 to bits tbh, it has got me to a standard where I'm most happy and best of all its helped me along the path of seeing my works published.

Kinobe said:
What I'm worried about is like neglecting my other D100 backup body

You've got two ... :eek: :eek:

If anything ... the only regret I have is selling the D70S ... :bonk:

My advice ... FWIW ... DO NOT sell both ... if you do go for the D200 ... you will have the best of both worlds then ... (I have kept my F3 ... !) ... what you waiting for ... :naughty:

I often would like both the comfort of a back-up and also a second body to set up with an alternate lens ... a luxury I know ... but I had it and let it go ... the D70S is a real fine body ... just that the D200 was a gotta have ... :D

Venomator said:
You've got two ... :eek: :eek:

If anything ... the only regret I have is selling the D70S ... :bonk:

My advice ... FWIW ... DO NOT sell both ... if you do go for the D200 ... you will have the best of both worlds then ... (I have kept my F3 ... !) ... what you waiting for ... :naughty:

I often would like both the comfort of a back-up and also a second body to set up with an alternate lens ... a luxury I know ... but I had it and let it go ... the D70S is a real fine body ... just that the D200 was a gotta have ... :D

One D100 houses the Nikkor f2.8-4 24-85mm and the other has the Sigma f2.8 70-200 constantly attached. I love the fact that having two bodies gives me the option of being able to "quick swap"

I have to admit carrying one on the shoulder I find very distracting, cos I'm always worried of it falling due to my short shoulders! (weird?!) I have to feel comfortable shooting so I find myself putting the second d100 in the lowepro. Which probably takes as long to, take the bag of the shoulders, unzip the bag, remove the camera instead of just swapping lenses. But as I shoot lots of events I always think "what if something went wrong", I'd be so dissapointed if I traveled like 200+ miles (which I've done) to an event to find my equipement failed, which is why I bought a second one.

I must admit my D200 batteries seem to be getting better with age. I can now take 700 shots on a full charge from each battery providing the LCD screen doesn't get much use and auto-preview is switched off.

I got Jessops to pricematch AJPurdy - but the only way they would do it was if I printed off the web price and took it into the store.

Guess what, guess what! :)

I went for the D200, its arrived! and woah I'm looking fwd to using it for the first time. It feels even better than the D100 hold.

I'm wondering weather to pop down to London tomos to give it a run in! :)

Must say thanks to you all for your advice and guidance.

You mention the AF system and increased focus points being the main reason your upgrading.
I prefer to manually select the focus point myself, this gives more control and I don't end up with something out of focus that I wanted in focus.

Joe T said:
Lucky git! :D

You might not so feel so good when the D70 replacement comes out in two weeks time...:p

Yeah, I've heard its going to be 10.2mp? using the same sensor as the D200? is that right? Infact don't tell me hehe Don't wanna know, or do I? :bonk:

For me SDK I think it depends what I am shooting! I now have 11 focus points to select from. Recently I've been capturing a lot of portraits indoor/outdoor, it would see me manually select focus points like your saying and it definately gives me more control with 11.

I also noticed when taking some test shots in low light with the sb-800 attached the af illuminator system seems to work a lot better.That could be due to the newer I-ttl system on the D200 apposed to the older D100 D-ttl.

It would be interesting to hear your views on the D200 as I intend to upgrade as soon as I've got the cash.

Hacker said:
It would be interesting to hear your views on the D200 as I intend to upgrade as soon as I've got the cash.

HeHe ... you've heard mine Colin ... just do it ... :D

Kinobe said:
I went for the D200, its arrived! and woah I'm looking fwd to using it for the first time. It feels even better than the D100 hold.

Good for you Ed ... pleased for you ... now git out there and enjoy it ... :D

What did you decide about the two D100s in the end then ... :thinking:

:p

Venomator said:
Good for you Ed ... pleased for you ... now git out there and enjoy it ... :D

What did you decide about the two D100s in the end then ... :thinking:

:p

Hehe certainly will mate, thanks again for your input into this thread, muchos appreciated! :)

Ones up for sale for £450 with additional battery grip and 2x en-el3 batteries. Not to sure if it will sell for that but they go for that on the bay so hopefully that is quite respectable! :)

Might test drive it this week at the London Motorshow? will go during the week though, a lot quieter I feel.

Kinobe said:
Ones up for sale for £450 with additional battery grip and 2x en-el3 batteries. Not to sure if it will sell for that but they go for that on the bay so hopefully that is quite respectable!

Yup ... I did see the CA after I posted ... :D

I would dearly love a spare body ... but ... :geek:

Venomator said:

Yup ... I did see the CA after I posted ... :D

I would dearly love a spare body ... but ... :geek:

Put it this way mate, its waiting to be loved, its getting lonely so give it a home in exchange for some of the Queens English :LOL:

Back