nikon d200 vs canon 40d? which would you have?

Bit of a broad question. If you are in the market for a semi-pro body then generally your needs are quite specific. Both cameras have their plus points and both their negatives.

You are also comparing a camera that is 2.5/3 years older than the 40D. Currently the 40Ds rival is the D300.

Simple enough question......

....... Simple enough answer

Honestly though.... it's usually down to what fits in your hand better, both are good cameras and belong in eqaully as good systems.

Bit of a broad question. If you are in the market for a semi-pro body then generally your needs are quite specific. Both cameras have their plus points and both their negatives.

You are also comparing a camera that is 2.5/3 years older than the 40D. Currently the 40Ds rival is the D300.

:agree:

After the entry-level camera bodies you cannot really compare the Nikon and Canon bodies objectively.

Your photographic style and needs will pretty much dictate which way you go. That and which one looks prettier to you...

We all know it should be the Canon...:LOL:

I went through this same process about a month ago having been offered a s/h but immaculate 40D. In the end I bought an unseen s/h D200 by mail order (Digital Depot if you want to know) and I don't regret the decision. The build quality is terrific as well as the pics. I'm sure if I'd bought the Canon I would have been equally pleased however I'd always fancied a camera with Nikon written on it :wacky:

Once you've chosen ignore the other brand otherwise you could drive yourself insane wondering if you've made the right choice.

Cheers

Peter

Once you've chosen ignore the other brand otherwise you could drive yourself insane wondering if you've made the right choice.

Cheers

Peter

Very wise advice there!

Both "mainstream brands" are excellent cameras but both have their downsides.

"Other brands" also have some superb systems but you might find yourself limited in terms of glass.

Buy good bodies and great glass. If later you want to buy a 2nd system (brand) then do so but establish yourself well with whatever system you start.

HTH!(y)

Very much depends on what you want to do with it. Which are the critical features for you?

High ISO, full frame, speed as in frames/sec, metering modes, access to lens systems for future expansion,flash compatability and how it feels in your hand are all things that I would consider. You need to consider your own needs.

I bought Canon because I wanted access to all that lovely L glass but I had to sacrifice the Nikon's ability to use remote flash which I would have liked.

You pays your money..........

Back