Nikon D300 LANDSCAPE setup Menus

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
taking my time setting up all the Menus

''D300' book by David Busch is ordered.
In the the meantime (to get me started) what Menu items do you alter for landscapes..?

I'm OK regarding WB and EV but any tips welcome.......?

Oh another thing that I change on my Nikon cameras - I set button release to on. It means that when you push a button such as iso etc. instead of having to hold the iso button down and scroll the command dials, you can push and release the button and it'll 'hold' allowing you to take your finger off the button and scroll the dial.

I also set the command dials to be active during playback so I can cycle through images faster using the command dials over the pushing the arrow on the d pad.

- however I have always enjoyed Steve Parry and his Youtube guides re. understanding Nikon AF terminology. It's geared towards wildlife/action, but you can easily make the inference for landscape settings.....................

thanks a lot - just watched it and cleared my head about BBF and AF modes...................... (y)

It’s really up to you. For landscapes it’s useful for the highlight alert to show as you can see what is over exposed and you can decide if it’s an issue.

There’s many things you could do - increase shutter speed, lower iso or use exposure compensation - it’s up to you. All it’s showing are areas in the image that are overexposed.
I personally don’t use this feature - however I don’t shoot landscapes either so for your use case - I can‘t comment :)

annd having seen the Blinkies - whats the next action...? EV setting.?

Assuming you, like me, decide that the DoF is the main decider for your landscape photos, you can then alter your shutter speed if that's not an issue or adjust your ISO if the shutter speed too isn't ideal to be adjusted

Blinkies show you what's likely to be over-exposed, and as @toohuge says, it's up to you to decide if that's a problem or not and adjust accordingly. If nothing is blinking, then I'd suggest adjusting the shutter/ISO until somewhere is and taking it from there

Dave

Back