Nikon D300 resistance is futile!

Name
King
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry folks in Star Trek mode at moment!

I have been thinking of upgrading from a Nikon D70 to the D300. There's also rumours of a D90 or a D80x. Someone also suggested a D200 as a possible option. I've just spent money on a swanky new laptop which didn't help me decide what to do!

Since it's introduction the price seems to be coming down. Now I see Warehouseexpress are doing the body for £989.

I am trying to resist but it might be as The Borg say "Reistance is futile"!.

was thinking along the same lines but.....................the D3 ahhhhhhh

Lifes short just spend the money. You only live once

But then someone would buy my D70 (body only) with goodies chucked in!

Get thee behind me Prince of temptation......:runaway:

I am sure if you sold your d70 there would be someone to buy it, if there isn't or the price is too low keep it as a backup.

Not sure if worth trading in or selling it privately. I know I would get more privately. Couldn't be bothered with selling it on Ebay.

sell it on here, you would get more and not much effort

was thinking along the same lines but.....................the D3 ahhhhhhh

D3 = new lenses etc too? I read that if you use not D3 specific lenses (I think DX format lenses someone correct me), that it will revert to the same frame size as say the D200?

Saying that, a sexy bit of kit and I want too :(

D3 = new lenses etc too? I read that if you use not D3 specific lenses (I think DX format lenses someone correct me), that it will revert to the same frame size as say the D200?

Saying that, a sexy bit of kit and I want too :(

Yeah I think that is correct. If you use DX lenses on a D3 it will go into cropped mode. I suppose it would depend on how many DX lenses you had. In my case for example, I would only lose my 18-70 kit lens and Sigma 10-20, both inexpensive lenses when you're talking D3 money.

Yeah I think that is correct. If you use DX lenses on a D3 it will go into cropped mode. I suppose it would depend on how many DX lenses you had. In my case for example, I would only lose my 18-70 kit lens and Sigma 10-20, both inexpensive lenses when you're talking D3 money.

I would loose about £2k on lenses I reckon, not sure how I ended up spending so bloody much, I don't feel like I have that much!!

I have been thinking of upgrading from a Nikon D70 to the D300.Someone also suggested a D200 as a possible option.

I've just gone from a D70 to a D200, it's a jump i'd recommend, the d200 feels much more of a "pro" camera than the D70

The fact most of the major functions are changeable from the top of the camera rather than in the menu on the D70 is a big improvement.

If that mint D200 in the classifieds is still for sale for £500 i'd save yourself £489 to put towards some nice glass and go for the D200

I've just gone from a D70 to a D200, it's a jump i'd recommend, the d200 feels much more of a "pro" camera than the D70

The fact most of the major functions are changeable from the top of the camera rather than in the menu on the D70 is a big improvement.

If that mint D200 in the classifieds is still for sale for £500 i'd save yourself £489 to put towards some nice glass and go for the D200

A new camera (whatever it might be!) would be cover by warranty if something goes wrong during a certain spell of time.

i swapped my d70 for a d300 a bit since and dont regret it at all,its bloomin awesome.i wish the price had dropped as low as that though,it was £1099 when i got mine grrrrrrrrrrrrr

The thing is, the Borg did indeed say resistance is futile but they couldn't have been more wrong. ;)

If baldy, the annoying beardie one and all the whining hangons (see I resisted the urge to use cling ;) ) managed to save the universe by resisting, surely you could resist and still get a decent shot. :D

*cough*

Click here Clive!

As I got you into this Nikon situation I think it only fair I help you on your way! ;)

Yes.... very true. ... and what sort of friend would I be if I didn't offer the opportunity to you? I mean, fair's fair! Here I am trying to make amends!

The D300 is more than a D200 update, I think its well worth the money, if you can afford it.
I think the noise performance on its own is worth the £300 or so quid extra over the D200, heck, its difficult to buy decent Nikon glass for £300, those that you do own will in effect be 2 or 3 stops faster than when you bought them:LOL:

Yes.... very true. ... and what sort of friend would I be if I didn't offer the opportunity to you? I mean, fair's fair! Here I am trying to make amends!

Next time I see you Barry can you just come with some sort of disposable camera!

I'd get myself a 2nd hand D200 for ~£500 if I were in your shoes KoG. A new D300 is twice the price, and why not leave yourself a future upgrade path!

Interestingly a friend of mine (Hanne!) says on page 147 of the latest issue of What Digital Camera a summary says the D200 is more geared towards RAW capature than Jpeg.

A new camera (whatever it might be!) would be cover by warranty if something goes wrong during a certain spell of time.

True but how many digital cameras do you see going wrong

none of my gear has been bought new, let someone else take the hit, I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I took anything back under warranty, if it's packed up at all it's usually outside the 12 months warranty

Get the D300. You know it makes sense!

I certainly did...

Do yourself a favor, pick up a used D2xs instead... I'm thinking of swapping my D300 for a D2xs. I miss my D2x :(

Pete

All things that aren't that quantifiable. Things like longer shutter lag ( for whatever reason ) and the build/size of the body. Personal preference I guess but all things that might matter when using the camera.

Buy an MB-D10? It works for me...

:)

My dad has a D300, and it's lovely. I'd have one in a flash, except....it's around £1000 for the body:)

So I did the next best thing and got a 2nd hand D200 from Parks Cameras for half the price:)

My dad has a D300, and it's lovely. I'd have one in a flash, except....it's around £1000 for the body:)

So I did the next best thing and got a 2nd hand D200 from Parks Cameras for half the price:)

See Clive, you know it makes sense! :LOL:

Back