Beginner Nikon D3200 Questions

Edit My Images
Yes
I have recently got an Nikon d3200, now i have a few questions.

I have read the Manual and look through it over and over and still can't find the answer. Unless im blind as a bat.

1. How do i set a custom white balanace

2. Metering, I have seen many videos and seen the photographer find out what settings to use via metering by pressing the Sutter half way in, however I can't seem to figure how to do it on the D3200.

Thanks.

1. You use a neutral gray card. Fill the frame with the card. Set the WB to preset manual -> measure. Take the photo. The camera will give you notice that it has set the WB to your scene. Next time you shoot it will use this WB.

2. Not sure about what you're asking here. It sounds like you think you have to manually enter settings recommended by the meter. Pressing the shutter halfway will just display the camera's exposure settings for that scene. If you want to compensate you use the exposure compensation function. How much input you have into this depends on the mode. In manual it won't recommend any exposure settings at all - it will just indicate whether the scene is over- or under- exposed as the camera sees it; you may want to disregard this. In, for example, Av mode when you half press the button the camera will only recommend a shutter speed - which you can change up or down with exposure compensation, but you don't actually have to enter a shutter speed. And so on...

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer, sorry I didn't explain the second question very well. That's what I meant the exposure settings. :)

Back