Nikon D3S wireless transfers

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello!

I inherited a Nikon D3S and D3X last year from my late stepfather and have since taken a big interest in photography and have been learning everything I can about it from framing to post processing and more. Now my only thing that I want to be able to do is to process photos faster and the way I want to do it is via transferring images straight from the camera to my phone and/or laptop. I haven't been able to find any devices that seem to be able to this and the closest wireless device I did see cost around £800-1000. Is anyone clued up on this to guide me in the right direction?

Thank you!

Mark

Does it need to be wireless ? Can you not have a cable and plug direct in ?

If not your looking for a WiFi card like this (or what ever fits your camera)

https://nerdtechy.com/best-wifi-sd-card

It can be tethered via USB cables, but then all controls seem to go from the camera to the app that I am using....again, i haven't seen an app that let's the camera have full control and just sends images directly to the phone, unless you have any suggestions. I use a Samsung s9 [emoji2]

Just what app are you using???

In regard to cable tethering:-
As far as I can tell in regard to laptop connection/tethering there is Nikon's own software as well as various 3rd party ones........of which I surmise there will be varying configurations including image transfer on taking the shots to full control of the camera via the PC/Mac.

As for Android.......a different kettle of fish, using a USB cable or a USB OTG cable???

PS even you find a wireless solution I suspect the transfer rate will be slow compared to cable tethering!

Last edited:
There was a version of the SD card with wifi built in, but I suspect that's not necessarily giving you all the control you want. I think the D3 pre-dates Nikon's adoption of wireless technology by quite a bit.

Nikon made the WT-4A wireless transmitter which will do what you want - however, these are rare and were very expensive when new.

The other option is to go for a wifi enabled sd card and use a CF to SD adapter. You can run the camera in backup mode with a regular cf card and wifi sd card in an adapter and should be able to transfer those files to your phone/laptop.

I have a WT4 that will be listing for sale in next day or so. Came with a camera I got and Ive never used it.

Back