Nikon D40 or Canon 400D

Edit My Images
No
I only have $500 and I'm going to buy a DSLR.
Which one should I choose Nikon D40 or Canon 400D
I like to take photos of potrait, flowers and lanscape.
Please help me.
Nguyen from Vietnam.

Having never used either and going purely on specifications i would go for the canon.

Merely for the fact that the canon can use normal canon lenses, whereas the D40 will require lenses with a built in motor to auto focus.

I also noticed that some canon lenses seem to be cheaper second hand compared to nikon versions.

Also it might just be me but from what pics i've seen taken the colours seem a little more rich on the canon.

But maybe someone who has used both will know better.

If you've no lenses already, then you've no real need to stay with one make, I'd go for Canon, but thats because when I chose, it felt better and more intuative for me to use. (y)

Myself I would also choose the canon. Mainly for the points pointed out above. The issues regarding lens motors limits choice to a degree.

I can imagine this thread will create a bit of banter between the canon users and those who live over on the dark side ; )

Nguyen - Technically, they're are both great entry level SLR's and both will do everything you ask of them. The best option is to go to a camera shop and see which one feels best in your hand. I had the same options and found that the D40 felt best for me.

Hi,

I was going for a 400d but it just did not feel right to hold and use. As soon as I tried the D40 it felt just right and the controls were in the right place for me.

As has been said both are very good entry level cameras and will do everything you have suggested. Go and try them in a store and decide for yourself.

Remember that you are buying into a system and that the body is probably the cheapest bit in the long run once you start buying more lenses :bang: :bang: :bang:. Don't be put of by the AF-S of Nikon as there are a good lot of lenses out there second hand now.

Good luck (y)

Thank you everybody. I will go to the store and try nikon and canon.
I don't know why but I prefer Nikon D40 to Canon 400D.
Have a nice week and best wishes for you.

Back