Nikon D40 or Canon EOS 400D

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

My Bro in Law is toying up which one to get and I wondered if anyone has gone through the same process and has views.

Regards

Chris

This gets asked quite a bit and the usual answer is to go and try them out and make up your mind on how they handle as they're both very good cameras and buying either wouldn't be a mistake. Think about the lenses that are available as a result of buying whichever camera and consider that the nikon D40 and D40x won't auto-focus with any lenses that aren't 'af-s' type.

When I made this choice I looked at the images straight from the cameras and decided on the D40x because I felt they looked more like a photograph should but it wasn't long before I upgraded to a D80 anyway... people will tell you to go nikon or canon but that's really down to what they prefer to shoot with and not a lot more. I'd probably say if it's going to be a keeper then the 400d will allow you to take bracketed shots for HDR and will give you access to more (and cheaper) lenses....

Search google and read all you can, check this link out for instance --> http://www.dpnotes.com/canon-eos-400d-digital-rebel-xti-vs-nikon-d40x/

all the best :)

Hi Theory,

Many thanks for your thoughts. I know I am being lazy, but having gone through this for myself when I choose the D300 a few weeks ago I am not sure I have the time to look at this one for my Bro in Law.

Link looks good, will pass on to him.

Regards

Chris

ah well if you have the d300 that could mean you could share lenses? might be a factor :)

Don't forget the Olympus E-420 or E-510, both of which have way more features than the original ones mentioned, but cost only a little more. My advice to you is to try them all, see what feels best for you in your hands, evaluate which features you require from a camera, then decide. Don't decide without trying them or seeing them.

Asked exactly the same question about 2 months ago when I was ready to buy my first dslr. I followed the advice always given and went to Jessops to look at and play with both. Strangely I came away liking the way they both felt but chose the Canon because folk said the lens range was better.

ah well if you have the d300 that could mean you could share lenses? might be a factor :)

Hi Theory,

Funny you should say that! I sent an email with your link on and said exactly the same!

Great minds eh!

Thanks to theMusicMan and Duckyoodle (where do you get your names from!)

Sometimes I think it is difficult to open up the field too much. My Bro went to Currys/Dixons last night and it took everything for me to persuade him not to buy straight away but do a bit more reviewing.

Regards

Chris

Hi Musicman,

But where in Wales then?

My Bro is from Caerphilly

Chris

Back