Nikon D40

Name
Andy Nye
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

The wife bought me a NIKON D40 for my birthday last week, after borrowing a mates on, i decided that i would like one myself.
Looking at lens, as i'm knew to all this DSLR stuff :D and was wondering if the Nikon Af 70-300/4.0-5.6 G zoom lens would fit, must sit and work out all the numbers and codes ...

many thanks in advance..... looking forward to learning more & loads from this excellent site

Rgds

Hi Andy. As far as I aware all nikon lenses will fit D40, BUT. And this is the main problem with the 40 and 40x the lens itself has to have the auto focus motor built in as the 40 and 40 x do not have motor built into the camera body but rely on lens having it built in. You can still use any lens but will have to manually focus, which to be honest is not a bad thing as sometimes it can take a while for AF to kick in. Others may offer better advice on the actual lens in question.

Many thanks for that Steve.

I guess that what the Af means = auto focus ?

Nikon Af 70-300/4.0-5.6 G

im sure there was a list on nikonians with a list of every lens that would autofocus with the d40/x.

as stevie said, you may have to manually focus but i find this better anyways because you take your time more this way and think more about the shot.

Many kind thanks

Love the D40, you'll have a wonderful time using it. Great bit of kit to start out with :)

Love the D40, you'll have a wonderful time using it. Great bit of kit to start out with :)

it's millions times better than the little compact ' point and shoot ' i have had for a few years ......

As i take a few photos of my boys at sea cadets in parades... now is the time to get a few long / zoom shots of them sailing.

Only ever having a camera thats automatic, think i will it a while getting used to numbers , letters , tla's etc ,,,,,,,, but is fun so far plus getting me out the house . :D

I daren't ask what the 70-300 means ,,, unless it's like binos numbers ?

Andy,

I just got the same lens second-hand from another forum member for my D40x. Beautiful lens, but you have to focus manually, like stated earlier in the thread. Not too bad at all once you get the hang of it (I haven't yet :bang:).

If you want a Nikon autofocus lens for your D40, you need the AFS lenses!

Ciao
Paolo

the 70-300 means the distance of the lens i thinks?!

basically the lower the number the wider the angle you will have on the shot and the higher the number the closer it gets to you!

Hi Andy
I think you'll find you need to use a tripod if you intend using this lens, especially at the long end (for focusing on distant objects).

Hi Andy, couldnt you get funding off Spike for that?
I have a Sigma 70-300 lens you are welcome to borrow if you want. You will have to focus manually, but it will give you an idea of what to expect.

Allan (y)

Just to add for those not aware about this 70mm - 300mm.
Before Digital cameras (Film) the standard lens on a SLR was 50mm a Wide angle was usually 28mm and Zoom/Telephoto was anything above 50mm going up to stuff like 110mm 200mm 300mm 500mm. Now due to the Digital SLR on Standard SLRs like D40 - D80 200 etc the sensor is smaller than the original 35m film, this means that a lens adds 1.5 times more to the lens mm. eg: a 50mm lens is actually a 75mm a 28mm is 42mm a 70mm is 95mm. Still with me? So when looking at older second hand lenses or new ones, you can get something like a 70mm - 300mm zoom lens and the advantage over film would be a better zoom range as the actual zoom is best part of 450mm, bad news is if you want a wide angle lens you used to go for a 28mm, now to get the same wide angle you would have to get about a 18mm lens which can be expensive and hard to find second hand.
I have propably not explained very well and i hope someone can do a much better job, but I hope it helps a little.

I've gone for an 18 to 135 lens which is equivalent to a 28 to 200 in old money. Really happy with it so far.

Dave

Back