Nikon D60 - Continuous Shutter Release

Edit My Images
No
Took the camera out yesterday horse racing and was taking some shots of the horses jumping in continuous shutter release mode but the camera wouldn't take more than 4 shots at a time.

I have read the book I bought at the time of purchasing which suggests in RAW mode it should be able to take 4/5 but "if you are shooting JPEGS the buffer is unlikeky to fill up and you wont be have any problems"

I was shooting in JPEG Normal and purchased a Sandisk Extreme III card for the purpose in case buffer speeds were an issue.

Is it possible there is a fault or are there other settings I may have needed to use.

Thx in advance.

Thx for the replies so far.

I was using 1000 as the shutter speed as I was trying to freeze the action and was using the camera in Shutter Priority mode

It seems weird that your burst length is about the same as if you were shooting RAW instead of jpg - have you checked the card (on a PC) to see if the files really are jpgs?

Thx again for your help so far.

Have revisited the manual & it doesn't mention being able to set the FPS rate.

I have swapped memory card without seeing any difference.

When looking through the viewfinder it shows the maximum frames that can be shot continuously is 4 but the manual states it should be able to shoot 100(JPEG).

Might have to take a trip to Jessops & get then to have a look

Sorry **,

Also meant to mention that when I was reviewing the pictures today on the PC they were JPEGS.

Hi DB,

Thx for your help which is greatly appreciated.

When I put it on manual indoors earlier it would not increase the Shutter speed above 200. I have just got back in & popped it in Shutter mode & still, whether the 4000 or 15, the figure in the bottom half of the viewfinder won't budge past 4.

I am fairjy certain I do have Active D Lighting turned on however so will switch that off & see what happens.

Many Thanks again

If you're indoors, it's probably popping the flash up, meaning the shutter wont go above the synch speed.

You need to set everything to manual, and set the D60 to no flash mode on the dial to stop the flash popping up...

Failing that, reset it to ensure you didn't accidentally set something in a menu somewhere that you now can't find?:shrug:

My d40x wont work in continuous mode when the pop up flash is on.

This may or may not help.

Thx Outlore,

I had it in Shutter Priority mode with the flash off & still couldn't get it above 4.

However I have tried Daftbuggas suggestion and turned off the Active D Lighting and it will now give me 27 continuous shots.

Whilst this is still not the 100 it says on the tin I am really pleased to find out its not the camera.

Thx to everyone who posted and a gold star or a merit badge (depending on his age) to Daftbugga.

I really appreciate everyones help

I'm pretty sure it's just not emptying the buffer fast enough. I wouldn't expect this problem with an Extreme III card but it's what it sounds like to me. I was disappointed with my D80 doing the same thing after 6 shots, but when I bought my class 6 SDHC card I suddenly couldn't fill the buffer, even with over 50 large JPEG's.

As said, the active D-lighting slows things down so try it with that off.
I think if you try it with a small JPEG setting it'll take pictures for much longer.

Thx Cyclone.

I will try changing the size of the JPEG as well as I currently have it on Large and reckon that could get me even closer to the anticipated buffer speed.

What difference does having a small JPEG rather than a large one mean in terms of subsequently printing/copying the image.

Try it out,
you'll find that the smaller files give surprisingly good quality.
You may also find the files sharper and less noisy in the medium size (6MP)

Also, noise reduction turned off, will improve the speed of the continous shooting. And check the focus mode. It will slow down if refocussing.

That was one of my 1st thoughts funny enough but picked it up from Argos on Friday so it should be ok ?

Back