Nikon D7000 - zoom lens suggestions

Edit My Images
No
Hello all

I'm looking for a zoom lens for my son's birthday. Budget is only upto £250, happy to buy second hand as everything else was was from MPB. He's taking a year photography course at college.

He has a D7000, a Nikon AF 50 f/1.8D and Sigma 18-125 f/3.5-5.6.

This lens is so that he has a longer length for a mix of wildlife and some landscape photos.

I'm increasingly aware that there's issues of compatibility with Nikon's - I'm too used to my old Pentax K100d that takes just about any Pentax fit lens. The Nikon's seem more complex and I'm struggling to understand the Ken Rockwell compatability chart.

Thanks in advance

Hi

My suggestion would be a used Nikon 70-300 Vr, although for proper wildlife the reach may not be enough.

There is also the Nikon 55-200vr or the 55-300vr which may be a bit cheaper, but the 70-300 Vr is a better lens.

The d7000 has very good compatibility with most of the Nikon range, including old manual lenses, albeit without electronics. It works with all my motley collection of lenses including my old full frame lenses. You can be pretty confident that almost any dx lens made by Nikon will be ok, including lenses without an internal af motor.

Back