Nikon D70s appears to be dead . . . ideas?

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, long time lurker here. I wish I had a more positive first post.

I switched on the camera this morning to check it over before a family christening this afternoon. It wouldn't switch on with the card inserted. With the card ejected it works fine, metering and firing the shutter no problem, flash popup if needed, menus work fine, etc. Swapping lenses or having no lens on the body makes no difference. Finally, if I insert the card when the camera is switched on, the top display freezes and nothing works. At no time does the green activity light flash (i.e. this isn't precisely the BGLOD issue early model D70 owners typically had). I should mention this has occasionally happened when I've inserted the card, but a routine of switching off, re-inserting and switching back on has fixed it previously.

I've tried the two button reset and the hard reset on the bottom plate, nothing. I've also tried a known good card (new in Jessops) and same issue. The pins at the bottom of the compactflash slot look ok. Battery was freshly charged this morning.

I've run out of ideas. Any great minds have any further suggestions before I give in and send it back to Nikon (out of warranty, of course . . . )

Is there a green LED on the back flashing when the card is put in?

what about changing the menu setting to be able o shoot without a card in. does the camera fire then?

Sounds like that camera thinks the door for the memory card is still open - have a look at the contacts/switch that is activated when the door is closed(on most cameras the switch prevents the camera from being used if a card is in place but the door open - often you can use the camera without a card but not with the door open) - they may be dirty or damaged.

- The green activity light doesn't flash at any time

- The camera is able to fire without a card in

- There are no obvious contacts on the door, nor any pins that insert into the body when the door closes.

Back