Nikon D750 & D780

Yeah, I couldn't justify it if it was just a hobby. One of the reasons I haven't reduced my hours in the day job (yet) is that I can use all of the income to kit myself out how I want to be. 99% of the way there now, just going to get a second D750 after September.

Then hopefully, reduce my hours in the day job by at least a day a week come the new year.

Sounds like you have it all worked out mate! Hope it all works out for you.

What will your setup be?

I have a wedding coming up in November and can't afford to be dicking around with kit so want to get it sorted well beforehand.

Sounds like you have it all worked out mate! Hope it all works out for you.

What will your setup be?

I have a wedding coming up in November and can't afford to be dicking around with kit so want to get it sorted well beforehand.

2 x D750
Sigma 24mm Art, 70-200 F2.8 OS
Nikon - 35mm F1.8, 58mm F1.4, 85mm F1.8
Tamron 90mm Macro
2 x YN568ex flashes, with YN 622 triggers and YN 622TX Controller

Although I so rarely want to reach for the 70-200 that I am tempted to get a longer prime, either like you suggested, swap the Tamron for a 105 Macro or take a look at the 135 DC

Sounds very successful mate. Being someone who doesn't make any money anymore from the camera i find it hard to justify that kind of cash...

Same here. With my first baby on the way I really must stop my pangs for new kit. I am getting better though, tend to buy things and hang on to them these days. Decent lenses are investments if you keep hold of them. I think the 70-200 is a better long term option for me really, or wait for a decent 135.

Last edited:
Mine seems to have got an issue with the commander flash mode. If I try turn off the built in flash and use an SB700 as a slave, the built in flash still fires. I'm really starting to get wound up with mine, it's spent more time with Nikon than I've had it these last 9 months, or so it seems. At an evening do tonight and quite annoyed!

The built in flash is supposed to flash in commander mode. It does so to control any other flashes on the CLS system and fires slightly before the frame is exposed.
Perhaps someone else can explain it better.

^this

In CLS it uses an infra red burst to send the data to the camera, you can buy a shield for it that blocks the visible light as sometimes it does slightly impact the image, but it's about the same cost as some YN622 triggers..

With £200ish to spend is the Nikon 50mm f1.8g the best option for a prime at that price point?

Mine seems to have got an issue with the commander flash mode. If I try turn off the built in flash and use an SB700 as a slave, the built in flash still fires. I'm really starting to get wound up with mine, it's spent more time with Nikon than I've had it these last 9 months, or so it seems. At an evening do tonight and quite annoyed!
As above it fires a tiny amount to trigger the slave, but it shouldn't impact on images (although in extreme situations it can a teeny bit). If you're finding that it fires 'properly' I assume you've checked the flash menu on the camera and have built in flash set to -- in the flash control for built in flash > commander mode and not TTL or a specific power? On anything but -- the in built flash will still fire a contributory amount of flash.

With £200ish to spend is the Nikon 50mm f1.8g the best option for a prime at that price point?

I would say the best prime lens is the one your going to use, no point having a fifty if it's not the focal length you will use. You can also get the 35 & 85 D lenses for your budget secondhand (pressuming you dont have these). Although the 50mm 1.8G is an excellent cheap lens.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies fellas. I find it a little odd how the flash still needs to fire when it's infra red that the system operates on. I will have to have a little play to suss it out more. It seemed like the built-in flash was still packing a bit of punch in last night?

Thanks for the replies fellas. I find it a little odd how the flash still needs to fire when it's infra red that the system operates on. I will have to have a little play to suss it out more. It seemed like the built-in flash was still packing a bit of punch in last night?
It's not something unique to Nikon, the Canon cameras I have had that can control slave flashes also fire the pop up flash in exactly the same way.

If that's the case my guess is you don't have the command flash set to -- and instead have it set to fire as per my post above. The system isn't IR as far as I'm aware, info is sent in the pre flash(es) which tell the slaves what power to fire at etc.

As above other systems work in the same way.

So it looks like I'll be needing to get to the gym. Just agreed to buy a 24-70. So much for thinking the 24-120 was heavy. :LOL:

I know it doesn't seem to get much love on here but i really did like my 17-55 DX so this should offer similar performance for me I'm guessing.

I've had to sell on the 35 and 85 though so it's come at a cost but they can always be added again when funds allow.

Might just add a 50 though instead.

So it looks like I'll be needing to get to the gym. Just agreed to buy a 24-70. So much for thinking the 24-120 was heavy. :LOL:

I know it doesn't seem to get much love on here but i really did like my 17-55 DX so this should offer similar performance for me I'm guessing.

I've had to sell on the 35 and 85 though so it's come at a cost but they can always be added again when funds allow.

Might just add a 50 though instead.
24-70's not so heavy tbh. Didn't you fancy waiting a few weeks for the new one?

I'm considering sending mine back to Nikon!
98 shots,sensor filthy and crap on the focus screen as I can see it through the view finder!
Only ever one lens change,when I took the body cap off and put the 24-70 on!
My D610 has done 1000's of shots an it's still spotless!
The only thing putting me off is apart from the dust issues it performs flawlessly,I'm happy to clean the sensor myself and my D7000 has so many spots on the focus screen it's not real.
Just a bit miffed it's so cruddy so soon!
Just wondering if anyone else has had dust issues or I've just been unlucky?

Last edited:
98 shots,sensor filthy and crap on the focus screen as I can see it through the view finder!
The only thing putting me off is apart from the dust issues it performs flawlessly,I'm happy to clean the sensor myself and my D7000 has so many spots on the focus screen it's not real.

Changing lenses in a dusty or dirty environment just once can can cover the sensor. I think you've been unlucky.

Changing lenses in a dusty or dirty environment just once can can cover the sensor. I think you've been unlucky.

It wasn't a dusty environment when I put the lens on I was in the house!
But yea I've owned too many DSLR's for it to worry me,and I agree I think I've been unlucky,but I think it came like that from the factory!
It was only after doing some landscapes that I noticed it.
The spots I can see through the viewfinder don't bother me as I suffered a similar fate with the D7000 but now there is more dust than viewfinder!

IIRC someone from here had a D750 with something in the VF from new. @Swanseajack was it you? Maybe it's a manufacturing fault?

Be interesting to find out!
Like I've said I know DSLR ownership comes with dust and I've cleaned my own sensors for years!
And my ageing D7000 viewfinder if fully loaded.
Just annoying on an expensive camera with only 98 shots!

It's not something unique to Nikon, the Canon cameras I have had that can control slave flashes also fire the pop up flash in exactly the same way.

I came from a 5D2 which I used the ST-E2 IR transmitter. I assumed the CLS system was infra red too. Will just have to have a play and suss it out.

On the dusty sensor debate, I cleaned mine for the first time last week after 9 months reasonable use. There's one bit that wouldn't budge with a wet swab so I've got one of the eyelead kits to give a go tomorrow.

Sensor still clean after 1000's, probably 10's of 1000's of shots and many lens changes. My only frustration is that it came back from the flare issue fix with a dust spec or something on the focus screen :mad:

Well, kinda, but i don't have the cash for a £1200+ lens. :p
Isn't the current one £1200? :confused:

New one's going to be closer to £1500 according to reports I read :eek:

@minnnt you will get on fine with your new partner. I mean your D750's new BFF the Nikon 24-70.

The 35 & 85 are a sad loss but the flexibility of the Nikon 24-70 is unmatched. Awesome colours, sharpness and bokeh. I wouldn't sell mine and haven't done so to date even with recently acquired primes. The VR sounds exciting but to sell and buy is too costly.

Don't worry about the zoom issue. It happens to alot of them and you get used to the tightness. I'll fix when gets unbearable.

Now get to the gym or start your reps with your son!

Isn't the current one £1200? :confused:

New one's going to be closer to £1500 according to reports I read :eek:

Yeah probably. I paid £625 so I'm pretty happy with that tbh. I have never rated Nikons VR system so i wouldn't have been upgrading for that reason anyway.

@minnnt you will get on fine with your new partner. I mean your D750's new BFF the Nikon 24-70.

The 35 & 85 are a sad loss but the flexibility of the Nikon 24-70 is unmatched. Awesome colours, sharpness and bokeh. I wouldn't sell mine and haven't done so to date even with recently acquired primes. The VR sounds exciting but to sell and buy is too costly.

Don't worry about the zoom issue. It happens to alot of them and you get used to the tightness. I'll fix when gets unbearable.

Now get to the gym or start your reps with your son!

I think you're right. I do miss the flexibility of a fast zoom. I thought i would be happy with the 35/85 but it did limit me more than i thought it would.

As for the tightness, apparently it's ok in normal use and for the quoted price of £120 to fix, if it does become more of an issue then it's not a massive amount to shell out at a later date.

Are people using grips? I kind of miss it tbh so i may add one. I've read the review on the Meike one, but is the Nik worth the extra cash? It's quite a bit more tbh.

Yeah probably. I paid £625 so I'm pretty happy with that tbh. I have never rated Nikons VR system so i wouldn't have been upgrading for that reason anyway.

I think you're right. I do miss the flexibility of a fast zoom. I thought i would be happy with the 35/85 but it did limit me more than i thought it would.

As for the tightness, apparently it's ok in normal use and for the quoted price of £120 to fix, if it does become more of an issue then it's not a massive amount to shell out at a later date.

Are people using grips? I kind of miss it tbh so i may add one. I've read the review on the Meike one, but is the Nik worth the extra cash? It's quite a bit more tbh.

I've used Meike grips on all my cameras previously and they're great. I'd not shell out for an official grip at the prices they are.

The only thing that's stopping me with the D750 is that I'm using a black rapid strap and I would be paranoid about how secure the screw connection would be.

I'm sure it would be fine and I'm just being paranoid but it would be lot of money hanging on a cheap screw......!

Back