Nikon D750 & D780

I went looking for sheep to photograph and had my afternoon disturbed by this pair. Had to crop as I'd taken the 70-200 out so it wouldn't feel so neglected. Typical.:rolleyes:

Good to see them flying again, they were meant to come over here to northern Ireland a couple of weeks ago but only 1 spitfire was flying.

Good to see them flying again, they were meant to come over here to northern Ireland a couple of weeks ago but only 1 spitfire was flying.

Some years the flight path comes over my house and a good while back I saw Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane. About four years ago the Lancaster flew much lower over me when I was out fishing. The sound of the engines is unmistakeable.

I went looking for sheep to photograph and had my afternoon disturbed by this pair. Had to crop as I'd taken the 70-200 out so it wouldn't feel so neglected. Typical.:rolleyes:

When I lived on Norfolk, I too saw these fairly often, lovely sound and sight.

Sorry it has been debated for ages but i would like to know how things work.
I got my camera second hand, it is from HK. I have no receipt.

My camera is affected by the recent recall according to the nikon website https://nikon.tfaforms.net/215

So i haven't click on the next button worry that it would start the process when i'm not ready.
SO what happen?
1) do you need a receipt?
2) do you need to pack it or do you received a box?
3) is it all free?
4) which carrier do they use?

Did a Christening today and the camera locked up. Hasn't happened for over a year but the 750 does have the odd fart at times, it's happened a few times but not for a long time. Was using a flash at the time and thought it was that at first, battery removal rectified it.

Damn church looks to be a mixed bag of lighting, WB all over the place! Happy days.

Sorry it has been debated for ages but i would like to know how things work.
I got my camera second hand, it is from HK. I have no receipt.

My camera is affected by the recent recall according to the nikon website https://nikon.tfaforms.net/215

So i haven't click on the next button worry that it would start the process when i'm not ready.
SO what happen?
1) do you need a receipt?
2) do you need to pack it or do you received a box?
3) is it all free?
4) which carrier do they use?
If it's affected they'll fix it for free, doesn't matter where you got it.

Well I've finally got around to checking my D750's serial number and mine's not affected :banana:

Did you ever check the focus point issue with it not being able to move it until a refocus?
The standby/sleep time? Yeah, there's a setting to change it in the menu, by default it's 30s IIRC. I forgot about it until yesterday and did change it to 5 mins but haven't checked it yet :LOL:

Posted this in the D850 thread but thought it could go here as well ;) Interesting comparison of the AF points of the D850 vs the D810 and D750. Those far corner points would be extremely handy for me, especially as they're cross type vs line on my D750. Just need to wait for the price to come down about £2k now :LOL:

Nikon-D850-vs-Nikon-D810-vs-Nikon-D750-AF-coverage-area-comparison.jpg

Posted this in the D850 thread but thought it could go here as well ;) Interesting comparison of the AF points of the D850 vs the D810 and D750. Those far corner points would be extremely handy for me, especially as they're cross type vs line on my D750. Just need to wait for the price to come down about £2k now :LOL:

View attachment 110736
I keep being drawn in by the 850... :eek:

Woohoo! Just sold the remainder of my Fuji kit. Need to start looking seriously for a Nikon 35 1.4 before the Wife spends it on next year's holiday :banana::D

View attachment 110736
That is my pet hate with my D750 (and my D3s). Nikon just took the same focusing system out of their crop sensor cameras and shoved it in the full frame...with the resulting loss of coverage.

That is my pet hate with my D750 (and my D3s). Nikon just took the same focusing system out of their crop sensor cameras and shoved it in the full frame...with the resulting loss of coverage.
Isn't it the other way around, don't they take the FF AF module and put it into the DX bodies? The last two AF systems have filtered down from the D4 and D5 to lower end FX and DX bodies. It's a physical limitation and DX will always have wider AF spread with reflex cameras due to the smaller sensor the AF module has to cover.

It's only the price/lack of funds stopping me ;)
Know what you mean. I could get a D850 for £3k. Or a D810 + 70-200. Or a 750 + 24-70 + 70-200.

I loved my old 750, but the I've got an itch for more pixels that needs to be scratched. :(

Has good as it look at £3k if you're not a pro, you have to be loaded to justify it!
Maybe if i did win a d850 i would keep it but i would never through this sort of money into a camera body.

Isn't it the other way around, don't they take the FF AF module and put it into the DX bodies? The last two AF systems have filtered down from the D4 and D5 to lower end FX and DX bodies. It's a physical limitation and DX will always have wider AF spread with reflex cameras due to the smaller sensor the AF module has to cover.
Didn't they make DX bodies first? Then when they went "Full frame" they just transfered the AF module across.
Couldn't the lazy buggers have made separate modules for each format?

Didn't they make DX bodies first? Then when they went "Full frame" they just transfered the AF module across.
Couldn't the lazy buggers have made separate modules for each format?
Yes they made DX bodies first but they've not kept the same AF module all these years ;) And it's not exclusive to Nikon, look at Canon, Sony Alpha and whoever, comparative DX bodies have wider AF spread than FX. In fact Canon have just done what you've referred to, they've just put a DX AF module in their 6D Mark II which is very poor indeed. Look how narrow that AF spread is :eek:

As for making different AF modules for FX and DX it wouldn't make any difference. AF modules are limited by physics and light. With the wonders of tech they have managed to somehow get the spread wider over the years, and if they could make one to fill the full frame of FX they would. That being said, as much as I marvelled over the AF spread of the D500 when it was released when I used it in real life it was actually less useful than the spread of the D5, and now the D850. The outer points are too close to the edge and you would never compose a shot like that (well I wouldn't and not sure when you would). That meant that you would use the next points in and they're not cross type, it's the middle and outer ones that are. On the D5 and D850 the outer ones are pretty much on the rule of thirds lines meaning that you have cross type points exactly where you'd want them (y)

Know what you mean. I could get a D850 for £3k. Or a D810 + 70-200. Or a 750 + 24-70 + 70-200.

I loved my old 750, but the I've got an itch for more pixels that needs to be scratched. :(
I think it needs to be more than just MP to warrant the £2.5k difference between swapping your D750 for a D810 tbh. Even with all the other benefits I can't really justify the difference, but if I had the cash I'd do it anyway ;)

Has good as it look at £3k if you're not a pro, you have to be loaded to justify it!
Maybe if i did win a d850 i would keep it but i would never through this sort of money into a camera body.
Yep it's a lot of money for sure. However, I'm of the frame of mind these days that if I can afford it and want it I'll get it, life's too short to miss out. I just can't afford it ;)

I think it needs to be more than just MP to warrant the £2.5k difference between swapping your D750 for a D810 tbh. Even with all the other benefits I can't really justify the difference, but if I had the cash I'd do it anyway ;)

Yep it's a lot of money for sure. However, I'm of the frame of mind these days that if I can afford it and want it I'll get it, life's too short to miss out. I just can't afford it ;)

I'll upgrade, but not yet.

Yeah you're right, but as I'm in the market for a new camera (having sold my 750 about 5months ago), I figured I'd go the whole hog.

But thinking about it more - the 2k I'd save by buying a 750 again, would buy some nice lenses - so I suspect that's what I'll do. Unless I see a cheap 810 for sale.

Yeah you're right, but as I'm in the market for a new camera (having sold my 750 about 5months ago), I figured I'd go the whole hog.

But thinking about it more - the 2k I'd save by buying a 750 again, would buy some nice lenses - so I suspect that's what I'll do. Unless I see a cheap 810 for sale.
It difficult to justify a D850 over a D750 plus £2k worth of lenses. I wonder how long it'll take for the D850 to reduce in price? The 5D4's only lost a couple of hundred quid in the best part of a year so if the D850 decreases at a similar rate it will be a loooooooonnnnnnng time before it's within my budget :(

Sounds like the more sensible plan.

It difficult to justify a D850 over a D750 plus £2k worth of lenses. I wonder how long it'll take for the D850 to reduce in price? The 5D4's only lost a couple of hundred quid in the best part of a year so if the D850 decreases at a similar rate it will be a loooooooonnnnnnng time before it's within my budget :(
Buy the lenses. Then save up and buy the D950 :p

I can't see a price drop on the D850 for at least two years, the price was fairly consistent.

I can't see a price drop on the D850 for at least two years, the price was fairly consistent.

If the pound carry on the way it is the price might go up. Like our d750. I bought mine two years ago and i go get at least the same money for it now and i see in the classified some advert for more money and more actuation that mine! Never a camera body as kept it's value like this. Thank you Brexit...

PS: to be fair I would have preferred my camera loosing a bit of value... last time i went to France a change rate at 1.04 at the post office was pretty sore!

Ladies & Gents, some advice please.

With my current D750, I've got a Tamron 24-70 f2.8, a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and a Sigma 105 f2.8 macro lens.

I do mainly portrait photography first and then do some weddings here and there.
Most of my portraits are done with the 70-200mm lens between 80-130mm. What lens(es) would you buy next?

My budget is around £1.5k.
Would a 35mm 1.4 or 1.8 be a wise choice? Or would I get more use out of a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8? Or even a 85mm 1.4 or 1.8?

Yes, I realise this is a how long is a piece of string questions with very little guidance but hoping some of you can point me in the right direction.

With my current D750, I've got a Tamron 24-70 f2.8, a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and a Sigma 105 f2.8 macro lens.

I do mainly portrait photography first and then do some weddings here and there.
Most of my portraits are done with the 70-200mm lens between 80-130mm. What lens(es) would you buy next?

Would a 35mm 1.4 or 1.8 be a wise choice? Or would I get more use out of a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8? Or even a 85mm 1.4 or 1.8?

Yes, I realise this is a how long is a piece of string questions with very little guidance but hoping some of you can point me in the right direction.
Do you have a second body? If so get the Sigma 35mm and 85mm art lenses. If you only have one body then I'd suggest a second body and the 35mm art, then use the 70-200mm for the longer shots.

Maybe look at the 58 1.4 and/or the 85 1.4. Both great portrait lenses.

Really depends how you shoot and what limitations do you find with your zooms. What do you want to achieve from a new lens? Better low light capability? Better isolation of subject? Better rendering? Less weight?

Do you have a second body? If so get the Sigma 35mm and 85mm art lenses. If you only have one body then I'd suggest a second body and the 35mm art, then use the 70-200mm for the longer shots.
This.

If you only have 1 body, grab another. Rock them with a 24-70mm and 70-200mm and you'll cover most scenarios at a wedding.

If you need to get another lens, then maybe something a bit wider than the 24mm - i think they do a 16-35mm (someone else can recommend a lens for this i'm sure). But you really don't want to be caught out by not having a wide enough lens and can't get any further back.

Back