Nikon D750 & D780

It's only 52 pages. I'm sure most of that is from the Sony fan boys haha

I love how people defend their own buying decisions, I mean, who cares, I’d prefer to judge them on what they produce with whatever they’ve got.

Interesting to read that the sensor in the Z7 is supposedly better than the 850, that’s a big statement. Glad I’m not in the market for a new body as it would provide a dilemma. I would like a higher res model for my portrait stuff but the Z series isn’t perfect by any means. Really don’t like the decision to use QXD and obviously one slot at that, but for just portrait work, it wouldn’t be a deal breaker. On paper, Sony would be a better bet for a dabble, but being able to use your current lenses is a big advantage, therefore depends how deep your pockets are as a couple of core lenses would need to be factored in. The launch has compounded my thinking that I might upgrade the 610 for another 750 (or 810) and consider changing in a few years time when Nikon undoubtedly sort out some of these initial issues. The 750 still produces what I need, being brutally honest (and financially sensible [emoji3])

A bit, but clearly missed that. I’m away, so there’s far better things to be doing [emoji3]

Did note you say that you don’t use the function buttons? The top one I have set up for my quick menu/favourites list, very handy.
I set the bottom one for that on the D750, but on the D850 there's an Fn button on the back that I now use for that. The front ones are set for DOF preview and virtual spirit level thingy, but very rarely use them.

I love how people defend their own buying decisions, I mean, who cares, I’d prefer to judge them on what they produce with whatever they’ve got.

Interesting to read that the sensor in the Z7 is supposedly better than the 850, that’s a big statement. Glad I’m not in the market for a new body as it would provide a dilemma. I would like a higher res model for my portrait stuff but the Z series isn’t perfect by any means. Really don’t like the decision to use QXD and obviously one slot at that, but for just portrait work, it wouldn’t be a deal breaker. On paper, Sony would be a better bet for a dabble, but being able to use your current lenses is a big advantage, therefore depends how deep your pockets are as a couple of core lenses would need to be factored in. The launch has compounded my thinking that I might upgrade the 610 for another 750 (or 810) and consider changing in a few years time when Nikon undoubtedly sort out some of these initial issues. The 750 still produces what I need, being brutally honest (and financially sensible [emoji3])
The Z models will be good for some people I'm sure, but they certainly aren't all rounders imo. They fall short in several areas compared to the D750 and D850 for that imo, in which case the D cameras still make better options. XQD is a bit of a pain at the mo being as Sony are the only manufacturers, prices are very high. However, as I've just posted on the mirrorless thread if you delve a little deeper XQD actually prove to be better value than high speed UHS-II SD cards. The problem is there are no cheap XQD options whereas you can buy pretty high performing (95mb/s) Sandisk Extreme Pros for a fraction of the price.

That’s cause you’re an old traditionalist [emoji3]

Seriously though, no one’s mentioned it yet, but does it look a bit crap to anyone else?

Looks aside, I think it'll feel a *lot* nicer in the hand than any Sony. That nice deep grip akin to the D750, I bet it'll be really comfortable to hold.

Looks aside, I think it'll feel a *lot* nicer in the hand than any Sony. That nice deep grip akin to the D750, I bet it'll be really comfortable to hold.
Thats almost a given, bearing in mind how a Sony feels in hand. I really don’t like them much.

I’m still smitten by my D750, so interesting to look at but I’ll stick with what I’ve got.

Z6/7 - Anyone expecting their adapted F mount lenses to perform as well as on a DSLR may be disappointed...

DPreview says....

During bursts though, our impression - albeit with beta firmware - was that the camera would sometimes back-focus trying to keep up with fast approaching subjects. This was not unique to this lens, and we hope final firmware provides improved performance.

Z6/7 - Anyone expecting their adapted F mount lenses to perform as well as on a DSLR may be disappointed...

DPreview says....

During bursts though, our impression - albeit with beta firmware - was that the camera would sometimes back-focus trying to keep up with fast approaching subjects. This was not unique to this lens, and we hope final firmware provides improved performance.
I'll wait to see what the full release is like before passing judgement. Good news for me is that there's too many negatives for me to be interested anyway so it doesn't really matter to me now what the adaptive lenses are like (other than I want Nikon to succeed in the long run).

Just seen that the D750 is £899 at e-inifty, now that’s a bargain :eek:

Just seen that the D750 is £899 at e-inifty, now that’s a bargain :eek:
But with just 1 year warranty compared with £945 with panamoz and 3 years warranty.

Last edited:
But with just 1 year warranty compared with £945 with panamoz and 3 years warranty.
Didn’t realise e-infinity was only 12m warranty. £46 for an extra 2 years is deffo worth it imo, Panamoz May price match anyway (y)

For the HK prices I'm definitely considering another. Panamoz would be my favourite, that warranty is a no brainer and having had to use their warranty system on the last D750 I had they are a great company to use.

Bearing in mind MPB have offered me £840, that is cheap!

That's a great trade in price, if you are thinking of selling.

For the HK prices I'm definitely considering another. Panamoz would be my favourite, that warranty is a no brainer and having had to use their warranty system on the last D750 I had they are a great company to use.

That's a great trade in price, if you are thinking of selling.

Just working out a few bits to make a decision on my next move. Pondering a few options so wanted to get prices too see what best route is!

Just working out a few bits to make a decision on my next move. Pondering a few options so wanted to get prices too see what best route is!
Next move? What are you considering?

Next move? What are you considering?

Want something smaller for just using more. Even with the 35mm I found the D750 just a bit clunky on holiday.

Options are keep D750 with the 70-200 for equestrian and get a small body such as Olympus, M50 etc or try the Sony again with some pancake lenses and get the 70-200 GM and a grip.

My Tamron 24-70 G2 lives on my original D750, and Nikon 70-300 AFP FX was used on my D7200. The gap between the 24-70mm at 70mm, and equivalent to 105mm on the D7200/70-300 combination was becoming a pain. Now purchased another D750 for the 70-300, can't go wrong at current grey prices. The D750 does everything I currently want.

I see the Sony thread has turned in to a Nikon bashing thread (again).

Well I can go one better than loosing an eye piece I've managed to loose a lens cap for my 70-200 today :mad::mad:

£18ish for genuine one I think? eBay sometimes have them... might even end up buying your own one back :p

Whilst I'm fit, I don't mind taking my 750/35 on holiday with me. Even took the 85 this week too. We don't walk along way due to the kids and so I'm happy not to really need to invest into an additional camera.

Loved this place, Ronda. I don't do landscape, but I'd like to go back one day and do this place some justice.

42457347690_525abece2e_b.jpg

42457347930_3f20eeffee_b.jpg

43359144005_7d12236380_b.jpg

44216366232_3f293517cf_b.jpg

When I went away to save space I loaded the d750 d500 200-500 70-200 sigma 24-70 all in the same ruck sack that was heavy

Less is definitely more. The first time I went away with my D700 and 35 and nothing else I was liberated. Thankfully that suits my way of shooting :LOL: I appreciate that isn’t everyone’s cup of tea though, if I had to carry alsorts I would probably be looking at a nice Olympus or something

Last edited:
When I went away to save space I loaded the d750 d500 200-500 70-200 sigma 24-70 all in the same ruck sack that was heavy
Did you get the Mrs to carry the rucksack and you got the baby, now that would be a fair exchange ;)

I see the Sony thread has turned in to a Nikon bashing thread (again).
Makes a change ;) TBH I don't get genuine bashing, we all like a bit of banter but some take it to the extremes. Don't get me wrong I'm 'happy' to knock things that I don't think are up to scratch (such as the new Nikon Z's) but that's purely because I don't think it's good enough for the price and I don't genuinely bash another camera/make just to justify my own purchases like some seem to ;)

Less is most certainly, more. I’d bet you didn’t use all that, unless it was a purpose Photography holiday?
I used the d500 and the 200-500 for the wildlife. Was going to use it on the tank ranges but never got there.
The d750 got used for everything else. The only lens I took and didn't use was the 85mm really.
I could of got away with the just taking the d500 I suppose but I still like the d750 for everyday stuff. The files just look so much better

Makes a change ;) TBH I don't get genuine bashing, we all like a bit of banter but some take it to the extremes. Don't get me wrong I'm 'happy' to knock things that I don't think are up to scratch (such as the new Nikon Z's) but that's purely because I don't think it's good enough for the price and I don't genuinely bash another camera/make just to justify my own purchases like some seem to ;)

Who was bashing the Nikons in the Sony thread anymore than you were "bashing" the Nikon in the mirrorless thread?

Last edited:
Who was bashing the Nikons in the Sony thread anymore than you were "bashing" the Nikon in the mirrorless thread?
I dunno, I didn't make the comment ;)

Thanks to the low ball prices of The D750 is looks like I’m keeping mine. No way I can sell up my gear and afford what I would want anywhere else.

Sony would be too expensive and nothing else apart from that and my D750 can handle low light action.

Might even have to change the 70-200 to the Tamron so I can afford another lens!

Part of me wants to go back to crop but don’t want anything bigger like the D500 and not sure how the D7500 will be low light wise.

Last edited:
Thanks to the low ball prices of The D750 is looks like I’m keeping mine. No way I can sell up my gear and afford what I would want anywhere else.

Sony would be too expensive and nothing else apart from that and my D750 can handle low light action.

Might even have to change the 70-200 to the Tamron so I can afford another lens!

Part of me wants to go back to crop but don’t want anything bigger like the D500 and not sure how the D7500 will be low light wise.
The D750 and 70-200mm is tough to beat imo.

Back