Nikon D750 & D780

Another vote for the eyelead gel stick. Been using it this past year and it does a better job than calumet have done for me for paid sensor cleaning. It's the most cost effective (and just plain effective) way of sensor cleaning that I've found. Total revelation.

I've still not gone through a full pack of 'cleaning sheets' in over a year of keeping 4-5 cameras clean. Only £33 on amazon.

The horror stories on Amazon and seeing how sticky the pad is on the sensor makes me slightly nervous - only because I have never cleaned it before. Probably nothing to worry about it - just need to man up and get it done lol.

Out of interest, how much did you pay to have your sensor cleaned at a retailer?

Cleaning sensors is really no big deal. Swabs can take quite a few passes tho so this looks like a purchase I shall make. I have an arctic butterfly too which is a bit pants really.

Phil
I was like you very nervous in cleaning the sensor, but I did it myself and it isn't as difficult as you think. I used the eclipse fluid and their swabs. You only put a tiny drop on the swab, the swabs are made in sensor size, so you buy the correct one. Lock the mirror and swipe gently across the sensor with the swab, I did have to do it a second time with a clean swab. But that was it all clean.

Yes, and I love it!

Although, it seems off a little at infinity, borrowing a friends USB Dock will fix that though.

Well I was ordering an 18-35 from MPB today.... and noticed a used Sigma 24mm Art.... would have been rude not to order it too...

I've cleaned my sensor quite a few times with the swabs. You rate these highly then deci?

Absolutely. I've not had a single issue in over a year of use across all of our cameras. Regarding the scare stories from Amazon, I'm sure that every technique of home cleaning has scare stories. All I can say is that I haven't had anything but beautifully clean sensors using this method!

Evenin' all, I bought one of these Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control and it works fine for single photographs but doesn't work for burst photographing :thinking:

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Evenin' all, I bought one of these Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control and it works fine for single photographs but doesn't work for burst photographing :thinking:

Any ideas?

Cheers.
Doesn't do it AFAIK, really annoyed me tbh. Ended up buying a 'proper' remote shutter release for about £20 on Amazon.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

I think you can still bracket images with it Andy ? I'm not in a position to check at the moment.

Yeah, you can, just repeatedly press the button on the remote. No big deal, I guess.

Cheers.

I'm pretty sure one press of the button will activate three, five, or seven exposures depending on menu selection. Racking my brains, but not access to manual or camera tonight ! Quietly confident it's buried in one of the menus

I'm pretty sure one press of the button will activate three, five, or seven exposures depending on menu selection. Racking my brains, but not access to manual or camera tonight ! Quietly confident it's buried in one of the menus
If you find it let me know please as I never could lol.

BKT button, left of flash. Then front dial for selection of bracket mode (-2, +2, 3 or 5) and rear dial for how many stops apart the brackets are.
Thanks but I tried in bracket mode with the camera set to continuous shooting but no matter how long I held the button on the IR remote it only fired once :confused:

Thanks but I tried in bracket mode with the camera set to continuous shooting but no matter how long I held the button on the IR remote it only fired once :confused:
Sorry, I must admit I read your question wrongly as I now see you were looking to get all the shots fired off straight one after another - I don't know how to do that! Lol.

But the bracket mode does work when your in Manual mode, I discovered today. That's a good idea!

Does anyone else wish Nikon would get their act together with live view focus speed, 'ala Canon'. I find the tilty screen very useful having lower back problems, just wish they could bring it up to speed with the competition regarding contrast detect focus. The phase detect focusing is absolutely amazing, I used it to photograph my son on a large swing coming directly towards me (AFC-3D) with the 24-120 and it nailed it every time, something my XT1 failed miserably at.

Does anyone else wish Nikon would get their act together with live view focus speed, 'ala Canon'. I find the tilty screen very useful having lower back problems, just wish they could bring it up to speed with the competition regarding contrast detect focus. The phase detect focusing is absolutely amazing, I used it to photograph my son on a large swing coming directly towards me (AFC-3D) with the 24-120 and it nailed it every time, something my XT1 failed miserably at.

Yeah, I do but more for video. I dont shoot back screen enough for it to matter for stills.

Yep, it's the one area Nikon are falling behind imo.

Yep, it's the one area Nikon are falling behind imo.

And the main reason Im even considering the A7rii. But that launch price!!!! TBF the D750 is superb in terms of quality of video but the A7s kills it in terms of high ISO, but that has its own issues. The A5100 touch screen and tracking makes video a breeze but its not FF!!

Last edited:
And the main reason Im even considering the A7rii. But that launch price!!!! TBF the D750 is superb in terms of quality of video but the A7s kills it in terms of high ISO, but that has its own issues. The A5100 touch screen and tracking makes video a breeze but its not FF!!
So glad I don't shoot video, too many headaches by the sounds of it ;)

To be fair it's the ONLY thing I don't like about the D750 (or Nikon in general). I'm sure they will rectify the CD focus speed in the future, although a firmware fix could sort it I'm sure
, it's unlikely from Nikon.

To be fair it's the ONLY thing I don't like about the D750 (or Nikon in general). I'm sure they will rectify the CD focus speed in the future, although a firmware fix could sort it I'm sure
I wonder if they/Sony look at developing something similar to Canon's dual pixel sensors or concentrate on on-sensor PD.

Last edited:

Same here. I use LV a lot since getting the D750 - the tilting screen is a great addition - the focus ability let's it down big-time.

Same here. I use LV a lot since getting the D750 - the tilting screen is a great addition - the focus ability let's it down big-time.

I tend to magnify then manual focus for most stuff including video. I wish they had focus peaking, it would he easy for Nikon to add. It's the only thing I miss about my 5Dmk3 (magic lantern)

Fw can't fix it.

Never mind the expensive Sony mirrorless cams. If it could focus anywhere near as good as my iPhone I'd be delighted.

Never mind the expensive Sony mirrorless cams. If it could focus anywhere near as good as my iPhone I'd be delighted.
Your D750 must be broken then ;)

Last edited:
Ha! My iPhone 6 seriously has incredible AF. It's less readily fooled and quicker to lock than any Nikon DSLR I've ever used in LV mode (4 D4, 2 D800 and 4 D750 bodies).
I've got the 6 too, just tried it and it does the same 'hunt' the D750 does. Dark-ish here though ;)

Can't say I notice much difference in contrast focus speed between my D750 and iPhone 6+.... Both slooooow

Can't believe we are comparing a camera phone to a top end DSLR
Neither can I, but that is the whole point. My D750 should be infinitely faster in live view than my iPhone, but sadly it's not. Still, it's a great bit of kit just slightly let down in this one area for me.

Neither can I, but that is the whole point. My D750 should be infinitely faster in live view than my iPhone, but sadly it's not. Still, it's a great bit of kit just slightly let down in this one area for me.

Could say the same thing about all cameras though. None are perfect and ime the d750 as an all rounder is about as close as you'd get.

Forget live view, you're not using the D750's auto focus to its full potential. In this mode in simple terms it focus by contrast. When using the viewfinder this switches off. AF now becomes intuitively fast driven by the all the focus points. It's up to you how many as you select. Don't take my word for it try it for yourself. Take a few frames in Live View and s few through the Viewfinder it won't be long until you see the difference.

Forget live view, you're not using the D750's auto focus to its full potential. In this mode in simple terms it focus by contrast. When using the viewfinder this switches off. AF now becomes intuitively fast driven by the all the focus points. It's up to you how many as you select. Don't take my word for it try it for yourself. Take a few frames in Live View and s few through the Viewfinder it won't be long until you see the difference.
I think that's a given tbh, but the point is some people do use live view for certain things and AF is slow to say the least, but this is true of most traditional DSLRs. It's no worse than the 5D3 for example.

I only use liveview for landscapes so AF speed isn't important ;)

As you'll see from the thread I think we all know that live view is contrast detect and appreciate the optical phase detection autofocus, which is pretty excellent to say the least!

Back