Nikon D80 or D200

i remember seeing this post

i will bear that in mind, would people say the grip is a must for it or not?

A few ways of looking at it I think.

The battery life on a D200 is awful (a point I forgot to mention). This is well known and was sorted out significantly on the D300. You'll be lucky to get 4 hours off 1 fully charged battery (with a bit of image reviewing on screen). So 2 batteries is an absolute must I'd say, but whether or not you just carry one with you, or stick it in a grip for convenience it's up to you.

A grip does of course give the illusion of a bigger pro spec body, and so effectively correlates to the size of your penis also ;) :D

hahaha

going away to shows and it would be on for more than 4 hours so i would need two batteries or even a grip

tbh, i dont think battery life is all that bad on the D200.

I shot 290 Raw files on saturday, and there was still 3 segments left when i got home.

In answer to your origional dilemma, ive owned the D40, D50, D80 and now the D200.

The D40 replaces the D50, but imo both offer same IQ, the benefit of the D50 over the D40 is Focus motor and its bigger ( D80 size ).

Moving onto the D80, great camera, 10mp, but same FPS as D40/D50, although much bigger brighter viewfinder.

The D80 is a good upgrade from the D40, but the price of the D200 has fallen, and you can get a mint second hand D200 for less than a New D80.

I have yet to regret any part of buying my D200, i say just jump in, especially as the D80 is only maybe a couple of months off being superceded by either a D80x or D90 ( purely speculation )

Whitey, you might want to look here. I bought a few things from them, excellent service and stuff was as new. I can heartily recommend them. :clap:
I had an MB-D200 grip on my D200, made it nicer to hold and really easy for portraits. And, of course it gives the benefits Dangleman pointed out !!

Allan

nearly new

been looking on that site to, thanks

I think there's a list somewhere on this site that lists dealers that also carry 2nd hand stock... I got my D200 from Park Cameras, the difference between a private sale and dealer 2nd-hand is only £25 or so.

Grip? I had one, didn't like it to be fair. Battery life was never an issue - could fill 2 or 3 4GB cards, loads of chimping, and still have plenty to spare. Always carried a spare battery though ;)

Hmmm. I'm starting to wonder if mine is slightly faulty regarding battery life then. I used one for 4 hours straight the other day - about 400 clicks and quite a lot of screen reviewing. Literally conked out just after I'd finished.

I've definitely read reviews etc though that mention poor battery life on the D200.

i think i would probably buy the grip anyway and then use 2 batteries and maybe even a spare to be honest with being away alot, thats what i have at present anyway

While I own a D80 and will probably use it until it doesn't work ('tis a great camera), I'd go for the D200. As RV said, the AF does give me a bit of issues in direct light sometimes.

I still love it though. :D

My D200 did about 250 shots per battery, that was with a VR lens fitted, reviewing every shot and a few using flash. About the same as a D80, but only about half that a D300 will do.
Allan

Back