Nikon D80

Name
Harpreet
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I'm thinking of upgrading my camera at the moment which is a Nikon D70 SLR to a Nikon D80 SLR.

Has anyone got the D80, and do you think it is worth it?

Harps

ive got the d80 aswell its a wicked camera (y)

The D70 is a great camera - I used (in a pro way) a D100 for years which had the same 6mp chip, and even when the D70 came out was considered an old camera - but great images though

If you need another body, a D80 is a great camera too and a more modern 'amateur' version (no insults chaps) of the D70, but I wouldn't buy one just cos the D70 is 'old' now - it's still a great camera. The pixel count jump on the D80 is good, but you'd get better results from top glass than a camera change (assuming you don't already have a series of £1,000 lenses?

I'd buy glass or jump to the D200/D300 if a camera change was really called for. If pennies don't allow that, stay with the D70 until it breaks - it's a great camera! (y)

Just to re-iterate what Dave has said.
I don't think the jump from D70 to D80 is really significant enough. Go for a D200 or save up a bit longer for a D300. If you feel there's nothing about the D70 that's holding you back then put the cash towards glass.

Panzer

Have to agree with Panzerbjorn - I love my D80 to bits, but also use a D200. If you're brave enough to lose the convenience of the creative modes & rely just on PASM then definitely wait for the D200 or better quality glass. The D80 is as good as it gets if you're not quite that confident (which is why I still have mine!). Don't upgrade until you've outgrown!

I have the D80 and am quite happy with it. For a plastic body it is very well built, with exception of the flimsy memory card door. And talking of memory, it uses the less professional (to some) SD card, rather than having the option of a micro drive in a CF card.

It also lacks some of the preset features of the D200 which I think would come in quite handy.

Picture quality is excellent in low ISO but can be quite noisy when going 400 or above.

I have a D80 but if I were you I'd jump up to a D200... (or how about a D300? hmm?) :)

I still sometimes feel like perhaps the D40x sensor is actually better (noise wise) than my D80

I love my D70s, keep yours and buy more glass, bodies seem to change too fast, glass seems a better investment to me.

Hi all

Thank you all for your advise, i will need to think about this carefully.

I use the D70 on a proffessional level I do wedding Photography and yes the photographs come out fantastic!

Everyday is still a learning curve for me even though I have being doing photography for 4 years now but there is lots of new technology around me and will be always. I haven't had a look at the specs of D200 or D300 but i will do.

Also I wanted to ask what Macro Lens would you recommend for the Nikon D70?

Harps

Macro?

50mm lenses are crap as you have to be too close to the subject - though the DoF is greater

135 or higher mm lenses are crap as although you can shoot from further away (so bugs aren't scared off) the DoF is a useless half a gnat's ass

90mm is best as a compromise of distance from the subject and acceptable DoF

Funnily enough - I have a 90mm Tamron SP :LOL:

HTH!!!

DD

When I wanted to upgrade my D70, I went for the D200 as I didn't think that the D80 was a big enough upgrade. :shrug:

Nearly a year on and I've still not learnt everything about the D200, there is a lot more to it than the D70 and the D80.

That said, great pictures can be had from the D70, and indeed any other DSLR. Quality lenses will make the most of any camera, and the D200 will show any deficiencies in cheaper lenses, as I've found out. :( :LOL:

With the D300 just released, the D200 prices will come down as a result. I'd try and go for the D300 if I was in the same position, as the D300 seems a big step on from the D200.

At least until the reviews are out anyway. ;):LOL:

I have a D80 and the D200 and love them both. I use the D80 more when I am travelling and prefer the lighter weight. I do prefer the way that it is easier to access the settings of the D200 very quickly but in terms of getting it right in relation to picture quality the D200 took a little longer to master. It was a bit of a learning curve!

My girlfriend is selling her D80 as she prefers her Lumix for what she uses it for. Body only (mint condition) very little use - £370.00. If this is inappropriate to put this in apologies to the mods and please remove. I was going to put it in the for sale but haven't enough posts as yet.

Chris

Back